"Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV" publishing ve

davesdaves Member Posts: 49
I am very pleased to share the following announcement:

The very first independent book about applications development in C/SIDE and C/AL, "Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV", will be published by PACKT Publishing in October 2007. This book was written by David Studebaker, a NAV / Navision Developer since 1996. David is a Certified NAV Professional in Development, Applications and Implementation as well as a Microsoft Certified Trainer for NAV. Prior to Navision, David worked in a variety of business software roles and earned degrees in engineering and business.

There is a hotlink to the PACKT Publishing site for the book on the home page of mibuso.com. The book can be ordered on the PACKT site.

"Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV" is designed first to be a tutorial book for the experienced business applications developer who wants to learn C/AL and C/SIDE as quickly as possible. It can also act as a supplemental reference for developers, managers and others interested in the features and capabilities of NAV's development tools.

Some discussion topics covered in this volume:

Basic NAV definitions and conventions
The design and development process of a NAV application
The unique aspects of the NAV data and process flows, Data Types, Tables, Forms, Reports and Codeunits
C/SIDE and C/AL basics - essential navigation, object construction, numbering, basic syntax, naming rules, SIFT technology, string operators and functions, numeric operators and functions, logical and relational operators and functions
Control Logic and Flow - Conditional statements, I/O statements, sorting, filtering, data flow, FlowFields, process logic flow, creating new functions, documentation, testing
Advanced C/AL - modifying existing functions, creating new objects, finding code models, advanced debugging techniques
Dave Studebaker
Co-Founder Liberty Grove Software
Author: Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV (V5.0), 2009, 2013

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    More info about this book, and a sample chapter, can be found at http://www.mibuso.com/bookofferpacktpub.asp
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    This book is a must have for anyone who is learning about NAV development.
  • gadzilla1gadzilla1 Member Posts: 316
    Dave,

Congratulations on your book, very cool and a much needed resource for those new to NAV development like myself. =D>

I just ordered mine. Drop me a note when you plan a book signing in Northern Wisconsin. :)

Well done - gad1
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Our auditors are in dire need of this book
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Dave,

I ordered my copy already many weeks ago. I can't wait to read it.

Congrats on the book!!

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • davesdaves Member Posts: 49
    The book "Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV" was released to the public on 10/22/07. I hope you find it useful and, at least occasionally, interesting.
    Dave Studebaker
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    daves wrote:
    The book "Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV" was released to the public on 10/22/07. I hope you find it useful and, at least occasionally, interesting.

Thanks Dave, I got it today and it looks great! So good to finally see the project completed. =D>

See you at Directions.
    Don't have it yet, but looking forward to it :wink:.
    See you at Directions as well.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Waldo wrote:
    Don't have it yet,

Belgium is always a little slow compared to Holland. :mrgreen:

[Just kidding]
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Hi Dave,

I've ordered 2 copies. :D

Do you plan to offer a Clif notes version for people who do not like to read books? O:)
    you know ... you can also read the same book twice :shock:
    :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Wouldn't that have to be a Dave Notes?

Ok, ok, I'll just go sit down and be quiet.

:P
    Dave Studebaker
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    daves wrote:
    Wouldn't that have to be a Dave Notes?

Ok, ok, I'll just go sit down and be quiet.

:P

Seriously though...

I would be nice if there is a pocket guide for NAV developers. But I guess that's what hte NAV C/side help is for... :roll:
    The best condensed reference that I know of is the one Luc Van Dyck (of this site) puts together. It is in the downloads here at MUID : BIYK
    It is called Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 Quick Reference. I am hopeful that in future editions of my book, Luc's reference will be included as an Appendix. In the meantime, get it here right now.
    Dave Studebaker
  • jamesjames Member Posts: 56
    I've just put an order in for the book, but can I just ask, does it go into areas like Application Server, interaction with other software and the Automation datatype.

I feel pretty comfortable with developing within Navision, but my main weakness is exposure to interaction with other applications and languarges
    Such topics are only covered in an introductory way. For the purposes of this book, those are considered advanced topics to possibly be covered in a subsequent volume. No commitment has been made for an advanced topics volume yet.

I hope this doesn't eliminate the usefulness of the current volume to you. I appreciate your interest.

Regards,
    Dave Studebaker
    Dave Studebaker
  • jamesjames Member Posts: 56
    Thanks Dave, I'm sure the book will be more than handy

Just out of interest, does anyone know where is a useful resource for these sort of topics? Or is it just experience??
    Sorry to say, but good interfacing and integration is based on experiences. afaik, there is nothing useful to find in books - official or unofficial. No design patterns, not one way to go, no tips & tricks, ... .

I know there are numerous solutions which we have investigated. Celenia's Integration Framework and ToIncrease Connectivity Studio are the ones that are best known. (we created our own integration framework because they didn't fit for us for numerous reasons)

There is also much to find on this forum. Disadvantage is that you'll have to gather your info throughout more than one thread. I'd be happy to guide you in the info you want.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    daves wrote:
    Such topics are only covered in an introductory way. For the purposes of this book, those are considered advanced topics to possibly be covered in a subsequent volume. No commitment has been made for an advanced topics volume yet.

I hope this doesn't eliminate the usefulness of the current volume to you. I appreciate your interest.

Regards,
    Dave Studebaker

May be a new approach for the next release: multiple writers and one coordinator (you)? I'd be happy to help you out :wink: .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    In the context of a volume covering a number of advanced topic areas, that is a very interesting thought. Thank you Eric. I will keep that in mind as the concept development work proceeds.
    Dave Studebaker
  • dbezzantdbezzant Member Posts: 10
    Just finished my read of the book. I had originally purchased it with the intent of using is for any new development hires (which I still plan to do), but I found a lot of great information in here of things that I either had forgotten or never really used.

Thanks Dave for this great reference.
    Thank you. I am hopeful others will feel the same.

I have also been very pleased at the reception my book has received from the NAV development team at Microsoft. At this point, I'm looking forward to working on future related book projects.
    Dave Studebaker
  • danlindstromdanlindstrom Member Posts: 130
    I've ordered and have read the book. =D>
    It was VERY usefull for an old developer like me who had been working with NAV since 1999 (version 2.00).
    I planned to let the the circulate anomong coworkers but noway. I'll keep it.

I've only found 6 minor erratas (reported via packtpub.com)
    at page 185,315,340,428,444

Good work!
    Regards
    Dan Lindström
    NCSD Navision 2.00 since 1999 (Navision Certified Solution Developer)
    MBSP Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
    Maybe you can talk your coworkers into each buying their own copy? :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the kind words (and for the errata feedback). One of my goals was to share what I have learned (some of it on this forum). I'm glad to know I had some success.

Comments like yours encourage me to begin the next writing project. I'm hoping to do V6.0 and to expand on some of the areas only lightly covered in this volume. Suggestions for content are welcome.
    Dave Studebaker
    Well, may be a bundle of "Best Practices"?
    like:
    - SQL migration

there are really a bunch of them..

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Good start Eric
    Dave Studebaker