Active Production BOM Version

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
Is there a reason why the active version of a particular BOM is not displayed on the production BOM screen?

When I checked the subform linking, it's set to:
Production BOM No.=FIELD(No.),Version Code=CONST()

If you created a Version Filter flowfilter, you can link the version code to the version Filter. Is there any reason why MSFT did not do this?

Comments

• Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    The Active Version field shown on the Production BOM form is a calculated value. It shows the currently valid BOM Version based on the Staring Date of the version. An active BOM Version must alsohave a status of Certified

The SubFormLink you refer to is as it is because both the Production BOM Lines and Production BOM Version Lines subforms use the same table, Production BOM Line.

So, on the Production BOM form the subform link filters out any lines with a version code, whilst on the Production BOM Version, the subform link filters on lines with a version code.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Umm... I know the programming aspects of it. But thanks for breaking it down. :wink:

The question what is the business rule on why it doesn't show the active version on the Production BOM when you pull it up? :?:
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Because they're different tables ('Production BOM header' and 'Production BOM Version'). I doubt that there is business logic behind it, I think it has more to do with the way that the manufacturing module was developed, that the version bits were added later, and by that time they didn't want to redesign it.

We've done development where the Production BOM Header form only shows the header record, and you always have to work with Versions for the actual bills of material. Still not something that pops up the active version when the form is opened, but at least the functionality is consistent.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Seems to me just by looking at the code that it's half developed. They're so close to making it work but somehow stopped working on it.

The details is using the same table (Production BOM Line), only the header is using a different table. Since we want the components, we don't really care about the header anyway.

Seems to me all MSFT needed to do was set the filter on the Production BOM Line with the value on the Active Version on the Production BOM Header table.