Nav 3.70 -> Nav 4.03 (SQL2000->SQL2005)

iraklis11iraklis11 Member Posts: 3
Due an SQL2000 to SQL2005 upgrade (we are changing our principal database to Nav5), we have to upgrade a 3.70 database to 4.03.

There is 2 ways:

- SQL Backup-Restore.
- Navision Backup-Restore.

Making first, SQL2005 puts a SQL2000 compatibility (80).
Making second, Navision 4.03 (we've restored the 3.70 backup with it) puts a SQL2005 compatibility (90).

Could we have any issue on another way?

What is the better way to do?

Thanks a lot!

P.D.: Sorry for my english... :oops:

Comments

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    In this cases I always prefer restore using Navision client. You are using NAV 4.0 SP3 with Update 6 or NAV 5.0, it’s better to use SQL 2005 compatibility
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Here's what I would do:
    1 - Create a NAV backup with the old client.
    2 - On the new SQL 2005 machine (not in 2000 compatibility) create a new database with the new client
    3 - do a NAV restore

This takes more time than a SQL backup/restore, but it is the best way to make sure you take advantage of all the new logic. It will create the new database with the 5.0 SIFT logic, you can have a 2005 compatible database without having to update or migrate. It'll all be there.

Basically, the only way that I would recommend using SQL backup and restore is when the database is migrated to another machine with the same version of the software.

By the way, 5.0 does not have an equivalent for update 6, so don't run table optimizer on the 5.0 database.
  • iraklis11iraklis11 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the answers!