Many problems while installing Business Notification!

GnovaldGnovald Member Posts: 67
Hi everyone!

First of all I have to say that I have followed the manual step-by-step, I have fullfilled all the hardware/software requirements and I have installed and/or configured all the prerequisitions.

I only found threads dated back a year or more about these problems, not any newer threads with later versions of BN, SQL and NAV - maybe there isn't any problems with those configurations!!!

After I have read a whole bunch of threads here at Mibuso about the many problems peope (all over the world) seems to have, I actually started to believe that it might work, getting NB "up and running".

But was I wrong! I have now been at it for 4 whole days and still not any closer the goal. Sure enough a few things at a time are getting in place, but still other things won't work or rather won't show up after installation prucedures.

For an example it should be two services installed after the completed installation of BN (at least to according to all the information I have read). Why do I only have one (1) service registred?

After setting up the Worksheets (in Navision) I recieve an error message saying "0 lines were found for this notification"!

I can not start the completed schemes I have created in BNM. I receive an error message saying "Start failed"! Maybe this problem is related to my Worksheet problem?

And now I can't get any futher with this *please insert curseword* beeb beeb beeb... problem.

Is there anyone (smarter than me) who might find it in their busy workschedule to help me with my small, but anoying, problem?

Hopefully waiting

/Andreas

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from Navision Tips & Tricks forum to Navision forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• GnovaldGnovald Member Posts: 67
    I have tried it one more time, and this time I got the services in place and got the scheme to start :)

But I can't still send any notifications from Navision, still says that "there is none to send"!

Still need insight to that particular problem.

A bit happier and and early day today :)

/Andreas
  • arvinder_singharvinder_singh Member Posts: 10
    Hi Gnovald

may be i can help you with your problem for then you need click on Suggest Line in batch select ITEM Not Recived report and click ok (in Cronus Db Only) you get the line to send and send trough send to notification .

But with me after that nothing much would happen dont have any further clue if you can tell how u configure your SMTP Server and what u select in BN Intallation when asked DomainName\UserName

tell you are able to send e-mail trough BN

i am also working on BN from last 5 days

With Regards
    Hi Arvinder.

Nice of you to trying help me with my problem! I am looking into your tips today. I will post a reply here when done.

/Andreas
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I can't believe you got it installed. I too literally spent 8 hours a day for over a week following the manual, trying to install it, and it never worked. Same with the other developers at my company. In all, between three developers, and 100+ hours of labor, we got it installed at the client site and semi-working. As far as I know we still have yet to successfully implement it in the office so that we can have a test environment.

I feel your pain.

And I know this is of no help, but every time I see a post about BN I feel the need to rag on it and beat it down a little more. Best of luck to you :)
    Hi Matttrax

i appreicated that u make the your BN is working in Semi-Working at your cleint side so can u tell what exactly means by semi-working. Is your client is able to send e-mail's from that .

R u ever faced a error saying (Select the company in navision ) how u excactly solved that. I solved it in a temp manner.

any help on this will be great advantage ](*,)

with regards
    Hi all!

I still haven't gotten BN to work, but I found out something that might help! After thursdays aptemt and installation I got so far that I got sent info from Navision into the SQL table, but there it stopped.

I noted that there was an error due to the late date in Navision - Cronus testdatabase use a 7 year old date. I changed the dependency of useage of dates and after that was able to send information!

I did a re-install and got a error message (error 1308) - I was a little bit to fast during the installprocess and forgot to use the domain user (I have noted that MS tells that it is enough to use a local user during the installation but I have learned otherwise).

Everything seemed to work but I can only send info from Navision! The SQL table is empty!!!

Today I am going to continuing trying to get this to work!

Thanks for all the replies and the input into this nagging little problem - never give up :)

/Andreas
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Last month I spend time setting up a BN demo system. After a week of false starts and aggravation I finally had a working demo system. I am able to process the sample notifications and sent them (email) to both internal and external receipients.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Hi all!

Was I glad when I suddenly got it to work! The last little bit of thing came in place when I realized that I had to have the right BNM scheme to the right Navision template - and after that my external reciepent recieved 109 emails from abs@cronus.com - but not the internat test reciepent! Why?

I am currently working on that!

Keeping up the good spirit - so far :)

/Andreas
    Hi bbrown

i am installed the BN but Not able send e-mails to external or internal id can help me in that

which SMTP Server you are giving while intalling the BN Server.

tell any un document process which may be i am missing

regards
    Arvinder
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I am using the IIS SMTP relay. Which is relaying to an external smtp host.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Hi!

After a few minutes reading about what the different schemes are doing I got it working. Now Navision is happily sending emails to a test user, both on the domain and a external test user.

But I have a new problem!

I was going to connect BN to the actual working production database, but now I receive a error message reading

"The program cannot connect to the server SERVERNAME. Please check that the server is started and that the server supports the selected type of connection...".

As far as I can see everything is set up properly, the only difference is that I have switched from the sql navision client to the native navision client (the production database is not yet moved to sql, due to some other project and limits).

The database itself is located on a different server on the network.

In Navision there was an error in the setup of BN, after looking around I noted that the table "Property Store" was empty, I copied the two lines (see below) from the test database into the production database.

BN_MessageBusUrl_0 http://02-TGELEKTRO/BusinessNotificatio ... rvice.asmx
    BN_PublishRetryTime_0 10000

BN is working fine in Navision but the BNM will not connect to the server!

/Andreas
    Hi all!

Of cource I had to re-install Business Notification Manager and use the Native option when connecting to the Navision database.

But now there is a new problem!

I do a clean install av BNM, first uninstall the BNM from "Add and Remove Programs", deleting databases in SQL, deleting the BNM program folder and deleting the contents in the "IsolatedStorage" folder, and last doing a restart! After this I re-install I receive no error messages and I can connect to the server when I open BNM. But after creating a scheme for testing the scheme won't start - and now I have discovered that the two services that should have been installed with BNM are missing (I have posted this problem in a new topic http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21456).

I am installing locally on the server, using no remote connection and I have disabled the anti-virus program during the installation process.

What to do?

/Andreas
    A few hints on the way!

Use a local administrator while installing Business Notification Manager.

Change the logon account to domain admin on the service:
    "Notification Service Deployment Manager".

And also change the logon account to domain admin on the service:
    "NS$BusinessNotificationInstance".

Don't forget to change the ASP.NET settings on the three websites (created by BNM installation) to version 2 of .net.

Don't miss to put in the whole domain name for the exchange server i.e. servernamn.domainname.local.

Also do this for the native settings for Navision - if the Navision database are located on another server.

While creating schemes do not try to use a email adress in plain text for the external recipient i.e name@company.com. The BNM will not recognize the format and stop the whole notification process (this is actually creating an event in the event viewer). Better to put in a test email adress into one customer account in Navision and use that customer for test purposes.

As far as I can determine you have to add single users and no groups as recipients in Business Notification Manager.

And last but not least. I have just now installed Business Notification Manager on the production server, started up a few schemes for test purposes and evaluation. Then it's up to my colleques (the Navision experts) to set up a bunch of real schemes and notifications for the users to use :)

/Andreas