Executable upgrade vs Full upgrade

nachoporcarnachoporcar Member Posts: 27
I am using NAVISION 3.10 database and executables,

I have read than people uses NAV3.10 database with NAV3.70 or NAV4.0SP3 Executables. It is possible?

my partner has not cleared up this. If I have undestand well i can use 3.70 or 4.0SP3 executables without migrating Navision version? my database still working in SQL Server 2K and the only thing I have to do is to re-install all my clients with the version 3.70 or 4.0SP3??

what are the diferences between this half migration upgrade and a full migration upgrade? it is esay to make this EXECUTABLE upgrade?

any document of this migration upgrade on the web?

anybody can confirm this point?

Thanks
Nacho

Comments

• MbadMbad Member Posts: 344
    EXE update. Unless you are having issues with the clients this will gain you nothing. As you said its only the clients and not the database that gets updated.
    Full upgrade = all new functionality and less errors.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I don't agree that will give you nothing, but usually the necessity to do a technical upgrade is born out of some sort of issue.

Upgraded executables means that you can have a supported version of the application, without having to go through a full object upgrade. If the functionality of your current system is good then you don't need to upgrade the objects. In that case a technical upgrade is a very common thing.

Going from 3.10 to 4.0SP3 (don't forget to also apply update 6) will give you improved SQL Server logic, better SIFT, enhanced keywords in the code especially for SQL Server. It also gives you a version that is supported on Vista, which 3.10 is not.

Make sure that your SQL Server is also up to date with service packs.
  • nachoporcarnachoporcar Member Posts: 27
    "Going from 3.10 to 4.0SP3 (don't forget to also apply update 6) "
    - what is the update 6 ???

So I only have to update the clients without update the objects?

and what about the database? i read that i have to convert the database to NAV4.0SP3 version.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Get in touch with your partner and have them guide you through the process.

These are the recommended steps:
    - make a backup of your current database
    - uninstall all current client versions and install the new one
    - create a new database with the new version
    - restore the database
    - install the new client on all client machines

Update 6 is the latest update for NAV 4.0 SP3. If you are on SQL Server you will need this update.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    So I only have to update the clients without update the objects?

and what about the database? i read that i have to convert the database to NAV4.0SP3 version.

This article may help:

NAV technical upgrade - Dynamics
    David Singleton