Dataporting data into a new 5.0 company

atankersleyatankersley Member Posts: 32
I have SQL Server 2000 and Nav 5.0 SQL CSIDE client. I am using the Demo database. I created a new company and I'm trying to dataport my data in from a text file I created from my Navision Attain 3.7 database. I did the G/L Entry and it worked and that was over 10 million records. Now when I try to do the Item Ledger Entry it keeps locking up and when I have to Cancel it starts backing out all those records and hangs everything up. I have been working with Nav 3.7 for about a year and don't know much about 5.0 or SQL server. I was ask to load one of our company's data into 5.0 for testing. I matched up the fields properly and don't understand why it worked for the G/L Entry but not for the Item Ledger Entry. I would be greatful for any insite you can provide.
tank

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    If I were you I would not import dorectly into the ledger tables. You should import historical transactions into journals, and have NAV post them for you. This is the only way to get reliable data into your system. It runs NAV business logic, it will take care of registers for you, dimensions (if used), etcetera.
  • atankersleyatankersley Member Posts: 32
    Can you point me to some documentation on how to do this.
    tank
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I think he is saying
    Instead of Importing your entries directly into the Item Ledger Entries. You should inport them into the Item Journal and then post them from there.
  • MbadMbad Member Posts: 344
    You will need to have an experienced consultant map the fields from the posted data to the journals and post them. It really isnt something you want to do unless your absolutely certain of what is needed.