windows user running NAS

gulamdastagirgulamdastagir Member Posts: 411
hello system admins

Can any windows user run the NAS and MSMQ private queues on WIN2K3 server?

Iam aware that we have to add that windows user to NAV windows logins.

thanks
Regards,

GD

Comments

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    NAS can be run under any user. To use MSMQ you must define permissions for that MSMQ.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Any user doesn't really 'run' NAS. You can set up any windows user to be the account that it is run under, as long as that windows user is set up to run as a service.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    DenSter wrote:
    Any user doesn't really 'run' NAS. You can set up any windows user to be the account that it is run under, as long as that windows user is set up to run as a service.

I'm assuming that user has NAS user service account. I don't excepting end users runing NAS from command line :mrgreen:
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
    nunomaia wrote:
    I don't excepting end users runing NAS from command line :mrgreen:
    I know that you know, I just don't know if Gulam does :mrgreen:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    hello system admins

Can any windows user run the NAS and MSMQ private queues on WIN2K3 server?

Iam aware that we have to add that windows user to NAV windows logins.

thanks

Of course that the user running NAS (account under which is NAS running) must have access into NAV - it means must be added into Windows Accounts in NAV.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    While you can set the Log On As settings of the NAS Service to use any windows user that is setup in Navision - I normally recommend that there be a seperate NAS user created in the domain. This is because any change logs or any other functions that use the USERID function will then clearly show that the the NAS user was being run. This will ensure that you can properly track things with any audit trails (which could be important to those "accounting types").
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • gulamdastagirgulamdastagir Member Posts: 411
    step #1.Create a NAV windows user and Synchronize all logins
    step #2.Go to NAS Service right click properties and on the log on tab enter the NAV Windows user and password.
    Regards,

GD
    edited 2007-09-28
    step#3. Start NAS from NAS Manager and not the windows services console becasue if you do you will get the "incorrect function error"
    Regards,

GD
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Have you check what startup parameter is specified? NAS normally passes a startup parameter (10 or 20 character code value) into codeunit 1's NASHandler Trigger. This code can be used to determine which thread of execution the NAS should invoke be it Employee portal support, Biztalk integration, or custom functionality.

Another possibility is to check that you can manually execute whatever code is being started by NAS. Can you start the codeunit or function if you call it from a test harness that you run manually in a Navision client (when logged in as the NAS user?).
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
    step#3. Start NAS from NAS Manager and not the windows services console becasue if you do you will get the "incorrect function error"
    No that has nothing to do with that error. In fact, it is better to start the services from the Windows services area, not the NAS manager. Use the NAS snap in to manage parameters, and use the services area to start/stop de services.
    Yes the Bottom line is you have to supply all the Parameters to NAS either from the "Snap In" or commandline inorder to avoid getting the "incorrect function" error when you start NAS
    Regards,

GD