Unable to enter design mode on a form.

S.AdamS.Adam Member Posts: 3
Hi

When I try to enter the design mode on a specific form, I receive the following message:

"ParentControl of the Frame named 'UnCancelFrame' Cannot be 12 since it would cause a cyclic parent chain - the Frame named 'UnCancelFrame' as 'parent' of the Frame named 'Cancel Frame'"

This only happens on one form and when the OK button is clicked, Navison Crashes. The form will run and is a working part of our system but I need to modify it. I am using Navision 4.0. I can not find any information on this message anywhere and do not understand what it means or what I need to do to fix it.

Any ideas? I am new to Navision so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Answers

• Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    Sounds like the object has become corrupt somehow.

Do you have a separate test or development environment with a working copy of the object? If so, you could export a copy of the object and import that into your database with the non-working object.

Failing that, take a copy of the object from a clean Cronus database, then re-apply any changes you had made to the form.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    If possible can you export the object as text and change the property in the text file?

This may not work but it's something to try.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Are you able to compile that object by going to the object designer and hitting F11 on that object?
  • S.AdamS.Adam Member Posts: 3
    Hi

Thank you all for your replies. The error was both in our Live and Test systems and I was unable to restore from a backup as we are unsure how long the problem has been there for ( the form was created long before I started working for the company). The idea of exporting it as txt seemed to do the trick. I was able to remove the parent definiton of the control from there and then recompile it in navision. This then allowed me to enter the design mode and move/ edit the problem control.

Many thanks once again for you help.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Glad to hear the export to Text did the trick! It does come in handy every once in a while.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com