Nav in Web

HariharanssudanHariharanssudan Member Posts: 26
Hi all,

One of our clinet going to have Nav 5.0 SQL Server implementation.

They would like to have web connectivity.

For example
1. Sales Prices in Web
2. Creation of sales order in Web by customers should create order in Nav

What kind of connectivity to Nav database for their web site we can suggest?

Thank in advance,
Hari

Comments

• Martin_FörsterMartin_Förster Member Posts: 55
    One question before...

You have to check where the Webserver from your customer is.

If the webserver in the same Infrastructure when i would say that you can do it directly between SQL Server and NAvision server over ODBC or something like that.

if the webserver by the Internet provider when i would write an automation to export the Prices etc. in a txt File. When you can write an batch file which load the files up in an periodic interval.

Are these Information, what you want to hear??

martin
  • HariharanssudanHariharanssudan Member Posts: 26
    Hi Martin,

Thank a lot for you reply.

Actually what the client (Web Developement team in clinet side) wants is, they would like to connect to Nav database directly. (Only to fetch the information)

Now i am just wondering, What the connectivity we can suggest to them?

Thanks,
    Hari
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    you don't want to build this yourself, as the questions will keep popping up one after another.

A webshop, standard integrated with NAV, which we use a lot, is Tradepoint from Scriptserver...
  • SorcererSorcerer Member Posts: 107
    you may also try this one:

http://www.itis.de/toosite.asp?P=20

it's easy to handle / configure and to implement.
    Hi Guys,

Thank a lot for your information.

One of our clinet's Web technical guy asking us that, as it is going to be an Nav SQL Server implementation, We can connect directly to SQL Server database from Web Page. What might be the need to third party integrations?

I really apprecite for any suggestions/ideas from you folks.

Thanks,
    Hari
  • Yaroslav_GaponovYaroslav_Gaponov Member Posts: 158
    Hi

I think such important process must be pass a verification in NAV and nice with use a standard NAV means. Do you sure in outside code?
    Hi,

Thanks for reply...

Actually we need to take the info from Nav and show in Web site. For example we need to take the Sales Price Info from the Nav and show the same in web.

In that case can you folks suggest to access the Nav (SQL Server Database) directly?

Thanks,
    Hari
  • Yaroslav_GaponovYaroslav_Gaponov Member Posts: 158
    Hi

Then export from NAV data to file under NAS and show it on Web form.

For connect to ms sql use ADO - very simply for realization
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    if you only read data from NAV, you can do it directly on SQL. Writing back --> never directly.
  • navvynavvy Member Posts: 79
    if you only read data from NAV, you can do it directly on SQL. Writing back --> never directly.
    For clarification: With "directly" you mean writing data back over C/ODBC or over C/FRONT ?
    navvy
    Freelance Developer
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Sorcerer wrote:
    you may also try this one:

http://www.itis.de/toosite.asp?P=20

it's easy to handle / configure and to implement.

Yes, we now integrate NAV and TradePoint webshop, but this looks interesting for Entrepreneur..Any demo website or better Live website?
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I can give you a couple of approaches we have used in the past. Keep in mind I am only talking about a read-only connection. You are just retrieving information from the accounting system. This does not concern data coming back.

In both these examples there was a website that need to retrieve information from the accounting system.

System 1

This was not Navision but another SQL based accounting system. Even so I think this could be applied to Navision for this scenario.

In this case the website was hosted by the customer's ISP about 100 miles from their office. We build built a second SQL database at the ISP and used transactional replication to keep the database updated.

System 2

This site was running Navision SQL. Here the website was hosted on the same local network as Navision. We created a series of SQL views and stored procedures that were called by the website to retrieve data from Navision.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.