Navision Database Server

aman_mbsaman_mbs Member Posts: 158
Dear All,
I am instaling the navision database server, For client server architechture, basicly i want that my navision databse should be installed on server and multiple clients should access it. Just like in microsoft SQl server option, i am doing the following procedure,,,
1) i have installed Windows 2003 and made a domain
2) Installed Navision Database Server
3) While installing the server i have used the demo licence file & database

But when i open that database and provide the server name and path of database it shows error that cannot find the server

please provide me some solution........ ](*,)

Thanks in Adv
Aman Kumar Gupta

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    First try to run the server from a DOS-box to see the parameters used (license file, database, networkttype).
    Then try to connect to this server through a client, using servername or IP-address. If you have setup the server with a database, you don't need to select the database through the client.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • aman_mbsaman_mbs Member Posts: 158
    Dear Sir,
    It would be ur kind support if u plz tell me how to check the parameters with dos..
    Aman Kumar Gupta
    Go to the command prompt or DOS box, navigate to the directory where you have installed the Navision server and execute server.exe
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    In client CD there is a document w1w1ism.pdf - Installation & System Management:
    Microsoft Business Solutions–Navision Database Server.

You should read it, explain all server command line options
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
    Dear Sir,
    The Service is running perfectly.....
    Aman Kumar Gupta
    So what. You need to verify if the correct parameters are used with your service.

Did you try to use the IP-address of the server instead of the servername for connecting through the client?
    Dear Sir,
    Some points i want to clear are..
    1) I have used a local database in CD 2 while making the database server.
    2) Now after installing when i run the fin.exe the database is opened but when i click the lookup at server it do not shows anry server it only shoes "CLIENT ONLY" then in the place of server name i provide the IP Or name of the server and in database option the path of the database. and when i click ok it shows cannot connect to server
    Aman Kumar Gupta
    Check the Advanced-tab in the client if TCP is selected as Net Type. The default has changed to TCPS.
    Dear Sir,
    Sir i have tried but still its not wrking...
    Aman Kumar Gupta
    If you ping to servername and IP-address, do you get a reply or a timeout?
    Dear Sir
    Its Replying..........
    Aman Kumar Gupta
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Aman, did you follow Nuno's suggestion and read the w1w1ism.pdf document? All the steps to set up a database server, as well as all possible server parameters, are explained in this document.
    I have nothing more to add :(
    Dear Sir,
    I have read it...
    My Problem is:
    Sir what i want is that my database should be at server and all the users should connect N wrk on it just like Sql Database is this a write path i am following.....
    Aman Kumar Gupta
  • Flash_GordonFlash_Gordon Member Posts: 2
    Did you start the schemaxt.exe on your server? This extents the Active Directory with the Navision Server properties and after that you should see your server when you press the lookup-Botton on "Servername." If you dont use that you only see the [Client Only] entry.
  • PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    What error do you get? If you get an error that the client cannot access the file, change the logon of the service from networkservice to localsystem. Also check the attributes of the database file.

If you get an TCP ERROR CONNECT (or something similar), there might be a firewall in the way, a wrong IP address or wrong NetBIOS name. In that case, try to telnet to the IP adres on port 2407. If this doesn't work , check networksettings, firewall and things like that. If you get a blank screen, it should work...

Also try to connect to the server, when you stop the service, and start server.exe manually. If this does work, it's probably the service logon which is wrong.
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    You have likely done all of this already but.

1 Check how the database server is setup.
    2 Check the database service is starting sucessfully.
    3 On On the server open the NAV client and try to connect to the server service. Make sure you are using FIN.EXE client not FINSQL.EXE client.

If the client on the server can connect try a client on a client machine, if it can't tehn you'll have to start going back through the server configuration to check things like NETTYPE, ensure that the server and client are both using the same NETTYPE.

Hope some of that helps

Ian
    Regards

Ian
    Instructions:

1: uninstall all NAV components and delete all NAV databases
    2: print the w1w1ism.pdf installation manual
    3: read it (DO NOT DO ANYTHING ON ANY COMPUTER YET)
    4: read it again and follow the instructions, ONE AT A TIME

All these suggestions are probably just confusing, you need to learn this from scratch and start from the beginning.

Itould be perfect to practice this on a VPC, if you have access to MSDN so you can install OS and such.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    For standard Navision server, you won't be able to just "lookup" to the server. You have to manually type the server name in order to connect to it.

Also ensure that the Net Type is set has TCP.

After you connect, push F12 and it should prompt you to choose a company.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    If all else fails this old wizard download still exists
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=304
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) You cannot lookup the server name of Native server, it is common problem and I never saw this working. Just enter the name manually or as parameter in shortcut for the client.
    2) If you have some specific problem, post it
    3) If you have just generic problem, read the manuals mentioned in this thread.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    How many MVPs does it take to connect to a server?

<Don't answer that, it's a joke> :D
    A rhetorical one at that it seems :mrgreen:
  • MP_NAVMP_NAV Member Posts: 42
    Maybe add the IP and NAV Server Name to the Hosts file on the Server?
    -MP
  • TrubyTruby Member Posts: 5
    Check windows firewall.
    Turn it off and then see if you can connect.
    Truby Gravatt
    Knutsford Enterprises Ltd