Word Translation

easabanganeasabangan Member Posts: 114
Hi,

Any idea on how to translate words in a report.

Ex.
Normal situation - You are invoicing your customer with your default language.
Other Situation - If a customer language is japanese it converts the words of the your defualt language to japanese words.

Thanks in advance.
No future at CPI

Comments

• Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    If you just want the labels to change then you need to set teh Caption ML property to have the text you want for that language.

If you want the data translated then there is no way in standard NAV that I know of

IAn
    Regards

Ian
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you want data translated, for items you can use the Item translation table. If you want to have other things translated (like payment terms etc.), use NAV 5.0 or add the same functionality like item translations (additional table with language code, the main table PK value and translation). Than you need to modify your report to read the translation when needed.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    i had forgotten about the item transaltion stuff.

You'd still hit a problem if someone typed in some extra descriptive info but you could get most of the way there.
    Regards

Ian
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    (or sometime we are using separate payment terms for foreign languages with description in their language. than we have correct description of the payment terms on the invoice, you just needs to set correct code on the invoice before posting - e.g. through default code on the customer card).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • easabanganeasabangan Member Posts: 114
    I already know how the item translation works. But its not the need of our client. What I exactly needed is like a dictionary.

Example :
    - the user inserts a word "Goodbye"
    - then the program will show this word in japanese "Sayonara".
    No future at CPI
    That’s what I thought you might want, a completely freeform translation tool. I haven't seen one for NAV and to build one would be a nightmare I think. It’s not only the literal word for word translation but also the correct sentence structure you would need.
    Regards

Ian
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    For a long time I had been looking for an HTML editor inside NAV for a customer. I ended up giving them a link to an online editor, and they are now using that one and are happy with it. Maybe you can find an online translation site and provide a link to it. It might not be as sophisticated as you want it to be, but for the purposes it might be a good workaround.
    Maybe you can find an online translation site and provide a link to it. It might not be as sophisticated as you want it to be, but for the purposes it might be a good workaround.

May you share the link to an online editor that you were saying...?

Thanks a lot!
    No future at CPI
  • MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    You can write your own function that retrieves translated word (two parameters that exits translated text).
    I.e.:
    Translate(LangID : Code[10];Word : Text[1024]) : Text[1024]
    Case LangID of
      'JPN':
        begin
          case word of
            'Goodby':exit('Sayonara') ;
          end ;
        end ;
    end ;
    exit(Word) ;

Then change SourceExpr on TextBox to
    translate(Customer."Language ID","Description")

If you have to translate several words in one variable, consider additional function that translates separated words and returns translated sentence.
    You can write your own function that retrieves translated word

Thanks for the suggestion.... but I am looking forward for a "ready made" that will automatically translate a word or a sentence or a paragraph.
    No future at CPI
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    This may be an area inside navision where you can utilize the multilanguage sections.

Under the interactions setup for salutations you have transalations for standard phrases "dear madam" etc against each language code which is used when producing reports or interactions to the contact the default language will appear with the tanslation based upon the contacts language code.

With an invoice the wording i would suspect would be the same repitive phrases again and again.

you would have to setup the correct grammer yourself and of course in japanese decide which of the 3 character languages you will be using which has other issues as well.

But this would be a good basis for doing what you require.

No online translation tool is ever 100% or i would have gotten a lot more dates then slaps
  • MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    Easabangan, you have several possibilities to translate reports.
    One is CaptionML, where you can add foreign descriptions of text boxes.
    Second one is to translate in way like VATText (i.e. R:204) is generated.
    Third one is to translate text at point of insertion in record (i.e. Item in sales line is converted that way).
    Fourth one is to translate text "at-site" (see previous example of code)