OnUpdate and OnOpen properties

bksbks Member Posts: 115
Hey all..

Do you know what is the difference between OnUpdate and OnOpen options of the property RunFormLinkType?

Navision manual help goes like this-

On the Contact List form, the "RunFormLinkType" property of the Card menu item is set to "OnUpdate." The RunFormLinkType property is associated to the form you are launching from this menu item. OnUpdate means that the launched form will be updated whenever the source form is updated.

For example, open the Contact Card form from the Contact list form and notice what happens to the Card form when you scroll through the List form. Compare this to what happens if the RunFormLinkType property is set to "OnOpen."

But I could not identify the difference...! :(

Answers

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    If you select onupdate every time you change record in list form it will automatically change that record in currently open form card. OnOpen doesn’t update during record record change in list form.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • bksbks Member Posts: 115
    See.. it goes like this..

I have three customers A, B, C. I have opened the card form of Customer A. Now, through navigation, I will go to Customer B and press F5 on screen. The list form will show the pointer at Customer B.

Now, in this list form.. I navigate to customer C and press Shift + F5 on screen. The card form will show record for Customer C.

Please explain the role of OnUpdate and OnOpen in this case.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The OnUpdate and OnOpen properties do not apply to TableLookup. An example of these is the relation between Customer and Ship-To Address. Open the Customer Card and then open the Ship-To Address form (from Customer Card). As you scroll thru the records on the customer card, you will notice that the Ship-To Address form changes to display the records related to the current customer. This is the behavior of OnUpdate. If set to OnOpen the Ship-to form does not update
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Let's say you are looking at the Item Card. From the Item Card, you open the Item Unit of Measure form, which is set with OnUpdate. Click back to the Item Card (don't close the Item Unit of Measure form) and navigate through Item records. Every time you browse to another Item, the Item unit of Measure form is updated. This is what OnUpdate means. It's a way to make the related form be 'connected' to a master record.

When it is set to OnOpen (can't find an example right now), the information is not refreshed when you browse to another record on the 'source form'.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Don't know why I missed your reply bbrown :-k must not fully awake yet
  • bksbks Member Posts: 115
    bbrown wrote:
    The OnUpdate and OnOpen properties do not apply to TableLookup. An example of these is the relation between Customer and Ship-To Address. Open the Customer Card and then open the Ship-To Address form (from Customer Card). As you scroll thru the records on the customer card, you will notice that the Ship-To Address form changes to display the records related to the current customer. This is the behavior of OnUpdate. If set to OnOpen the Ship-to form does not update

What a wonderful description! Thanks a lot bbrown!!! =D> =D> =D>