Locking Problem

JAYESHJAYESH Member Posts: 290
Hi Experts,

Does any body tell me what is the error message tell us.

Message - The table is lock by another user wait until user completed operation.

I want to know what is this means. and is there any solution for this ?

Thankx...
JAYESH PATEL

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    It means what it says. One process is trying to access a certain table, and is locked out by the DBMS by another process. Click the message away and try again. You get that message because the table lock takes longer than the value in the 'Lock Timeout' value in your database setup.
  • JAYESHJAYESH Member Posts: 290
    THANKX FOR THE INFORMATION...
    JAYESH PATEL
  • John3John3 Member Posts: 16
    DenSter wrote:
    It means what it says. One process is trying to access a certain table, and is locked out by the DBMS by another process. Click the message away and try again. You get that message because the table lock takes longer than the value in the 'Lock Timeout' value in your database setup.

Is it possible to increase the 'lock timeout '?
    Sure just enter a higher value
  • DuyGiangDuyGiang Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have met this issue and tried to put a higher value but it didn't change anything : no matters if I put 10 or 50000 the lock message appears immediately.

It seems that it is an issue between NAV 5.0 and SQL 2005. Could anybody confirm ?
    What exactly is the message? You might be getting a different message than we are talking about here.
  • jwilderjwilder Member Posts: 263
    In SQL you actually don't get a message until the lock timeout occurs. You will get an hourglass until the locktimeout has been reached then you will get a message. This is getting into a pretty complicated subject but you can monitor locks in the session table to see who is locking who and for how long.

We have our lock timeout set to 120 sec's. If it is set to 10 seconds you might have postings fail more often becasue the lock timeout will be reach more often. If you set your lock timeout to 50000 you would have an hourglass for a really long time! You can also set the value to zero so there is no lock timeout at all.
    That's what I said:
    DenSter wrote:
    You get that message because the table lock takes longer than the value in the 'Lock Timeout' value in your database setup.
    I just don't think that DuyGiang has the same issue, becasue he says he's getting an error immediately, so that would mean it's something else than lock timeout.
  • John3John3 Member Posts: 16
    John3 wrote:
    DenSter wrote:

Is it possible to increase the 'lock timeout '?

I've a native database 2.60B can you tell me the right method to increase ?

Thanks
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    It is a SQL setting, not a Native. Sorry.

The SQL message is wrong BTW. The message is a table lock but it actualy means that a single row or resource is locked and cannot be locked by another process.