Dos based Report Printing

milindmilind Member Posts: 130
Is it possible to print reports in Dos base mode insteade of windows base

Comments

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    We once had to send some data to a strange printer that had problems with the windows driver.

Therefore we wrote a report that actually writes a file and then excecutes a shell command like this:
    shell(c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe type >myfilename.txt myprintername)

Hope this helps

Regards
    Thomas
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can try the "Generic Text printer". It is driver for printers, which enables you to print everything as plain text with some possible "control characters" for enabling some text printers features (bold printing, bigger or smaller texts etc.).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    These printers are hell on Earth as the drivers are usually imperfect. The really best option is, as above, to write a text file and send it to the printer. The drivers are usually good enough to handle a text file. And if they aren't then that's not your fault as it's happening outside Navision. The way I did this is COPY file.txt LPT1: but that doesn't work for network printers. Maybe ta5's solution does.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    My first question after reading your initial post is why are you trying to print to a Text Printer? Is this something that is being printed off on a Dot Matrix printer? The reason I ask is because that's typically when I've ever had to consider printing via text.

However the last few times I've done this rather then spending time trying to get things formatted in a text file or some other non-standard means I just simply revised the printed layout and used a windows Generic Print Driver.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com