Importing Historical Data from Legacy System

stuart1266stuart1266 Member Posts: 29
I've got a customer who is moving from an old accounting system to Navsion 4.0 SP3. One of the questions he is asking, is can we import historical data, from his old system into Navision, so he could compare budgets.

I'm thinking down the lines of importing balances rather than individual tranasctions. e.g. sales balance for March 07 is £x, sales for April is £x. Am I able to import this information and assign an accounting period to it?

Can I do this and if so, can someone point me in the right direction of how to do it.

Many thanks

Comments

• DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Assignment of accounting period is not an issue.
    You can always update the balances but the choice depends how u want to do, i.e. transaction-wise or balance-wise.

If you go for a balance-wise update, you wont be able to get the MIS, like ageing, and if txn-wise with proper dates, it will surely be a presentable information.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • stuart1266stuart1266 Member Posts: 29
    I'm going with balances, as all he wants is to be able to have histroical balances in the system. I've tested it on a 'Opening Balances' dataport and used the posting and documents to be previous periods and i think it will work this way.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    stuart1266 wrote:
    I'm going with balances, as all he wants is to be able to have histroical balances in the system. I've tested it on a 'Opening Balances' dataport and used the posting and documents to be previous periods and i think it will work this way.
    Yes this is the way to do it, we used a dataport to import month end g/l balances for the prior 5 years. The dataport should populate the general journal batch, then post the batches, this way Navision does all the proper validation.