Rename GL Account Numbers (More complex than 1 -> 1)

mstallmannmstallmann Member Posts: 138
One of our clients needs to rename their GL accounts. It would be straight forward if it was a one to one rename (ie. GL account 1000=2000), however, it is not that simple. They have a dimension called cost center that they will use in this mapping as well. I.E.:

GL Account Cost Center New Account
1000 A 20000
1000 B 30000
1000 C 40000

I believe we could loop through all the accounts and set the GL entry Account numbers equal to the new account number, bypassing all of the rename functionality. However, I am trying to find a way to analyze all that is renamed using the rename functionality in the internals of NAV. With this information, I could better determine what we will need to rename with our own code. I have identified quite a few of the tables that would need to be updated, but would like to see the native navision rename structure.

Has anyone ever performed this before? Can you give me any insight into other issues encountered? Would you advise just to create reclassification journal entries instead of performing this task?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For me it will be much better if you can use journal to set the accounts to 0 (per dimension) and add the appropriate ammounts for the combination Account/Dimension to new accounts (it means corrective document which will transfer the amounts from old system to new one). But I know that it is not possible in all cases.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.