Tracking between Posted Shipments & Invoices

2»

Comments

• idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    cnicola wrote:
    So then you make up your own rules:

You can only make your own rules when you are the boss :D:D:D
    Let's just say a well defined system logic can achieve the establishment of linkage between shipments & invoices.
    A lot of these kind of transactions are probably overseas & caused by the time constraint...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    ara3n wrote:
    Try it on 5.0 and let us know. :mrgreen:

I miss what that has to do with what I said.
    Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.
    idiot wrote:
    cnicola wrote:
    So then you make up your own rules:

You can only make your own rules when you are the boss :D:D:D
    Let's just say a well defined system logic can achieve the establishment of linkage between shipments & invoices.
    A lot of these kind of transactions are probably overseas & caused by the time constraint...

My line is that it almost never is the system.
    My example was meant to illustrate the fact that in the system the way it is you are never guaranteed a 1 to 1 relationship between shipment and invoice (due to the fact that you can do any wacky combination of shipments and invoices). Which is what the other people said: you have shipments and you have invoices, not invoices for shipments.

I work a lot with clients who use EDI. So they generate BOLs for the stuff they ship for an order today and then they HAVE to generate an invoice for THAT shipment and reference THAT BOL No. So I can always tell you which invoice is for which shipment. And that happened not because I am the boss (I am just the consultant) but because that was the business requirement.

So either that is what the business rule is or otherwise it is a dumb request. If the client cannot accept it that is a different thing but it is still the client and not the system.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    cnicola wrote:
    ara3n wrote:
    Try it on 5.0 and let us know. :mrgreen:

I miss what that has to do with what I said.

I meant the scenario you were describing on sequence of shipment and invoices.
    5.0 has added the link between shipment and invoices so you can see the related lines.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    cnicola wrote:
    My line is that it almost never is the system.
    My example was meant to illustrate the fact that in the system the way it is you are never guaranteed a 1 to 1 relationship between shipment and invoice (due to the fact that you can do any wacky combination of shipments and invoices). Which is what the other people said: you have shipments and you have invoices, not invoices for shipments.

I work a lot with clients who use EDI. So they generate BOLs for the stuff they ship for an order today and then they HAVE to generate an invoice for THAT shipment and reference THAT BOL No. So I can always tell you which invoice is for which shipment. And that happened not because I am the boss (I am just the consultant) but because that was the business requirement.

So either that is what the business rule is or otherwise it is a dumb request. If the client cannot accept it that is a different thing but it is still the client and not the system.

Not guaranteed doesn;t mean it cannot be done or should not be done...
    I disagree with "you have shipments and you have invoices, not invoices for shipments. " as will auditors...
    If 5.0 really has that the link then it would mean that there were many requests for it such that it became important enough to be included or the system is getting dumber...
    I'm happy that 5.0 has it... :)
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    idiot wrote:
    I'm happy that 5.0 has it... :)

I'm happy as well. :)
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Probably beating a dead horse here but just tried the famed 5.0 function.
    I tried my scenario: on a 10 qty order I shipped 3 then 7 and then invoiced 6 and then 4. On the 3 pieces shipment it showed the invoiced for 6 and on the 4 pieces one it actually showed both invoices.
    So it does what Rashed suggested at the beginning as a mod. It looks for a value entry that contributed cost to the item ledger entry created by the the shipment line you are on.
    So if that is your definition of "What invoice is for what shipment" then I guess you guys are right and your problem is solved in 5.0
    However if you truly want to tie in shipments and invoices for payment terms and freight charges then this does not help.
    As I said before it is not magic and you have to make your own mod if you need to think and have things work that way.
    But then again ... dead horse probably ](*,)