Business Analytics - Unable to open/create NODBC connection

Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
Hello everyone,

I am having a problem.

We are using Windows XP with SQL Server 2005 Standard.

We have tried using both Navision 4.3 and 5.0.

It dies at the same point in both configurators.

It makes it through the inital screen where it states it finds NODBC Driver (which was installed from the Navision installation disk).

However, When it gets to the second part of the configurator, the first task is Build Internal Representation.

When it gets to this point it fails and gives the error "Unable to open/create NODBC connection".

I am sure I am missing some piece of the configuration. Does anybody have a clue what it is?

Also, is there a link to some documentation which explains the relationships between SQL Server, Business Analytics, and Navision? If I understood what Analytics needs the NODBC driver for I might have a better chance of troubleshooting stuff like this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

No one loves you like the one who created you...

Comments

• PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    If you're using the SQL Server for the Navision database, you don't need ODBC....
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Exactly, it seems that you mixed the BA setup. You need to select that you are using MS SQL and not Native DB Server.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • rebel7254rebel7254 Member Posts: 5
    I'm a coworker at the same company of Saint_Sage....

Thanks on the NODBC thing. We've got everything going through SQL now.

We have created a cube inside a CRONUS database (converted to SQL database first), but we can't seem to find it when we open Business Analytics.

Could anyone outline the process, or post a link, that covers the procedure for creating and using a cube in Business Analytics? We have a manual that we are following, but we must be overlooking something.

We have the demo version of Business Analytics. Does that matter?
    Yes, it matter. Because the demo can run just over demo database. You need to have BA Advance granule in your NAV license file, to be able to use BA Configurator to configure BA to use NAV cubes.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
    Hey Kine,

Thanks for the reply. I guess we need to iterate a little more information.

We have a developers license, so I am fairly certain we have the granule on our license.

The version of Business Analytics we installed came from the 5.0 DVD that was sent to us by Microsoft. However when we pull it up it says that it is a demo version.

We have created a new cube in the Cronus USA database that came with 5.0.

We have sucessfully ran the Configurator to read the XML and create the cube in the database.

If we log in to SQL Server Management Studio and log into Analysis Services we can see the cube we created.

However, when we log into Business Analytics under data sources the only source we can select is the default Sales cube that comes with Business Analytics.

I guess we need to know what needs to be done after running Configurator to get the cube at this point into BA.

Do we need to create some sort of view or analysis in SQL Server?

After you creted the cube from NAV, you need to run the configurator once again but manually. It will start in "setup" mode where you select folder with license etc. and it will configure the BA server to use NAV cube and will license it.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
    Hey Kine,

We are still working on this thing! #-o

When it is asking for a license file, I thought we could navigate it to our Navision license which has the Analytics Basic Granule.

In BA Management Studio, the Ant Server is also asking to be licensed before we can add a new database there. The type of the license is .xml instead of the .flf

Our salespeople and our contact with Microsoft can't seem to get any information about this mysterious license.

Do you know what license I should be using and where do we get one?

Thanks!

1) You must know, that BA Advanced (ANT server) is 3rd party application with own licensing.
    2) MS Configurator has abylity to "register" (add license) ANT server based on NAV license file.
    3) If you run the configurator, select the folder, where NAV Client with your License file under name fin.flf is located (import the license into the client first, than use the client folder as target in configurator)
    4) You do not need to do anything in BA Enterprise manager (just user permissions). Configurator will change the settings of the ANT server to use your NAV cube (you can play with the settings if you want some non-standard configuration, but you can have problems because the ANT server is licensed for NAV and not by "full" license for the ANT Server).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.