5.1 feature request

NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
I will they can give us an option to backup-restore in multi-thread process, and allow us to select or deselect tables.

That way I can make a backup of a client db that is 50 gig, without the large tables. Like GL Entry. Dimensioni Ledger Entry.

Posted invoices and shipments. And the list can go on and on.

This Could be a great feature for go live as well. [-o<
my 2 cents

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you use MS SQL you can much better backup your DB... (and because MS SQL is now primary DB server for NAV, it seems that your request will be not solved)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    I agree that sql is better backup. It just that they should allow by what ever means to skip large tables.

If the client has a 50 gig db. How much time is wasted on looking into some issue with adjust cost routine, just to get a copy of the db.

I don't really care about all the gl transactions, and all the posted document.

With every database getting bigger and biger they have to give us a better tool to handle these databases.
    my 2 cents
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    SQL backup for 10GB DB takes just few minutes. It can be around 10-15 minutes for 50GB - depending on HW...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I've seen a 600GB database (yes six hundred gigabytes) restore on SQL Server in 20 minutes. Set up your system correctly and you won't need to split.

I'm not sure leaving certain ledger tables out is a very good idea anyway, how are you going to have data consistency?
  • PerJuhlPerJuhl Member Posts: 55
    NavStudent wrote:
    I will they can give us an option to backup-restore in multi-thread process, and allow us to select or deselect tables.

That way I can make a backup of a client db that is 50 gig, without the large tables. Like GL Entry. Dimensioni Ledger Entry.

Posted invoices and shipments. And the list can go on and on.

This Could be a great feature for go live as well. [-o<

Hi

I hope MBS will not give us this function.

How will you make sure G/L Ledger and Item Ledger is in sync. after a restore ?

Or Job Ledger and G/L Ledger ?

So you just don't backup the large tables ?

And if you don't need to backup the larges ones, why do you need to backup the small ones. ?

BR Per
  • NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    Because as a solution center I don't care million of gl transactions.
    All I need is to recreate a problem that the client is running into.
    It can only be recreated with their data.

For example. Client has made several dimensions mandatory on COGS account and now the adjust cost routine craps out.

This is a 50 gig db.

Your job is to fix this in a couple of hours. You can't explain the client that dimensions is a fucked up solution that doesn't work in every scenarios.
    my 2 cents