How to change the "CHART OF ACCOUNTS" language

Steeve_globetrotterSteeve_globetrotter Member Posts: 46
Hi everybody...

A new challenge for all of you... :mrgreen:

Do you know how can I change the language of the account name in the "Chart of Accounts" when I change the language property in Navision ?...

I can't find any "Caption ML" or something like this in the Account property...

HELP ME PLEASE... [-o<

Thanks again...

Answers

• todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    Hi everybody...

A new challenge for all of you... :mrgreen:

Do you know how can I change the language of the account name int the "Chart of Accounts" when I change the language property in Navision ?...

I can't find any "Caption ML" or something like this in the Account property...

HELP ME PLEASE... [-o<

Thanks again...
    the "G/L Account" is filled with data and the chart of account simply displays the table content, so there is no possibility to translation via ML functionality. The only way would be a separate translation table, like for the item, and whenever a G/L account is to be displayed, the description would have to be fetched from the standard table or the translation table, depending on the language setting.

The easiest way to get the desription in an other language: have your accounts be translated and import the changed (translated) descriptions :mrgreen: But no way of changing on the fly without additional programming (and translation)
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    You have multi-language of forms/fields/captions and you have multi-language of data.

The 1st is solved using the CaptionML-properties on the objects.

The 2nd can be solved using a Translation table (see for example: Item Translation), but this is not implemented in the standard application for all data. You'll need to copy the functionality of the Item Translations and develop your code to use it with the G/L Accounts. The Translation tables are normally used to print the description in the language of the customer or vendor, not to display the description in the language of the user. So you'll need to add some code on the G/L Account forms to display the correct description, according to the GLOBALLANGUAGE-function.

From the on-line help:
    Multilanguage Functionality

Navision is multilanguage enabled. This means that a localized version of Navision can present itself in different languages. It is possible for the user to change the language that is used to display texts, and the change is immediate. There is no need to stop and restart Navision.

You should not confuse the multilanguage capability with localized versions. A localized version of Navision is a version of Navision that has been adapted to a local market. This means that all texts that are presented to the user have been translated into the local language, but it also means that functional areas have been adapted to the requirements of the local market.

A multilanguage version of Navision is a localized version of Navision that you can run in different languages while all other local adaptations remain the same. For example, you can run the Swiss version of Navision in German, French and Italian, but it is still a Swiss version of Navision in all other aspects. It is not the same as, say, a French version of Navision.

You should also be aware of the distinction between changing the language of Navision and changing the language of the data stored in Navision. You can address the first issue by enabling the multilanguage features. These features make it possible for the user to change the language of all the texts displayed by the application in captions for text boxes, on command buttons, in menus, and so on.

Changing the texts that are stored as application data is not part of the multilanguage capability. This is an application design issue. Examples of such texts are the names of items in the inventory or the comments for a customer.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • alsolalsol Member Posts: 243
    The local chart of accounts should be in that language, the user from accounting departement are used to. Usually, a second language is only needed for reporting purposes.

So instead of developing ML functionality, why not just use Account Schedule where you can import the whole Chart of Accounts and then translate each account.

Or if you want to have the translated account in standard reports as well, you could create a second Name field and then just enter there the translated text.

Regards
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    cyberscout wrote:
    The local chart of accounts should be in that language, the user from accounting departement are used to. Usually, a second language is only needed for reporting purposes.
    basically you are right but especially the Swiss people know about ML necessity :lol:

Even in G/L area, there might be people speaking different native languages so I can understand the requirement although I personally would prefer to use a standardarized chart of accounts in case of naming. But some G/L people sometimes behave a little bit different than expected :mrgreen:

If you have to work with manufactures, in some areas it's common that you get a predefined chart of account from manufacturer one, another from manufacturer two in another country/language etc. If you try to bring those together, it might be useful to have a translation function like it is integrated in NAV for the report selection.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)