Import data to "Internet" server

S0918423470S0918423470 Member Posts: 159
Hello all,

We have a problem with importing data.

Our customer setup server in Maylaysia. It's mean that NAV Server install in a computer that placed in Maylaysia.
In Viet Nam, Client will connect to server in Maylaysia to import transactions into Table 81, after that they will posting at Maylaysia server.

The importing is very slow.
Because they using SQL option so I suggest the solution, in VietNam we setup NAV server, after they import data in to NAV. We will go to the SQL server using the command and export data and send this file to Malaysia and DBA in Malaysia will use command to import data. But they dont want to do this because they said that DBA not support that ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .

I really need some suggestions from all of you. Pls help me ASAP !!!! .

Thanks,
HN

Answers

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Are you using a remote desktop solution like Citrix? Or is a local client in Vietnam opening the database (through VPN) in Maylaysia?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • S0918423470S0918423470 Member Posts: 159
    Hi Waldo,

They do like : "Or is a local client in Vietnam opening the database (through VPN) in Maylaysia?". Because they want to be safe.

We have a solution for improving speed of importing, haven't we??

Hope your suggestion soon. Thank you so much.

HN
    Hi Waldo,

They do like : "Or is a local client in Vietnam opening the database (through VPN) in Maylaysia?". Because they want to be safe.

We have a solution for improving speed of importing, haven't we??

Hope your suggestion soon. Thank you so much.

HN

Actually, I DON'T like "a local client in Vietnam opening the database (through VPN) in Maylaysia" [-( .

Probably there is a solution, but I just want to know how people work (infrastructure) on the database.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Hi Waldo,

I dont like too, but the Customer is GOD ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I think NAV is not designed for doing like that.

Until now, 2 persons are working with the NAV server at Malaysia. They open the NAV Client (SQL option) and on the server name they gave the name of Malaysia server and the specified database and they used Windows Authentication.

It means :

ServerName : Malaysia Server.
    Database : Specified Database (Examp. : NAV_Database)
    Authentication : Windows Authentication

Thanks for your reply and hope your news soon.

HN
    The reason that the system is slow is (probably) due to the fact that you have to send all the data over the (slow) connection. NAV produces quite heavy traffic ... and that's why you should use a RDP solution.

In my knowledge, there is no way around if you persist to only go through VPN...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hi Waldo,

I dont like too, but the Customer is GOD ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I think NAV is not designed for doing like that.

Until now, 2 persons are working with the NAV server at Malaysia. They open the NAV Client (SQL option) and on the server name they gave the name of Malaysia server and the specified database and they used Windows Authentication.

It means :

ServerName : Malaysia Server.
    Database : Specified Database (Examp. : NAV_Database)
    Authentication : Windows Authentication

Thanks for your reply and hope your news soon.

HN

Tell your client they have three options:

1/ Citrix/Terminal Server.
    2/ Get a 100Mega bit duplex frame relay connection with very low latency between Viet Nam and Malaysia.
    3/ Have a slow system.

Then let them decide.

I think when they realize that they speed is unusable, and look at the cost of the Frame relay they will then suddenly realize why virtually all NAV clients use the Citrix/TS approach. \:D/
    David Singleton
    Hi Waldo,David

To Waldo :

RDP is Remote Desktop Protocol, isn't it ??? I also think this way and i think it's good solution in this case. I hope i can pursuade customer to do this.

To David :

Thanks for your ideas.

I will try to do.

But i have a another question. How can we import data into Nav database without using dataport??

HN
    You can use XMLport or write everything in a codeunit.
    Just make sure your import is run from within an NAV client.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Hi Waldo,

Thank you so much for your help.Wish the best things for you.

HN.