Disconnect before 08:00 / after 17:00

GryphonriderGryphonrider Member Posts: 8
Has anyone ever experienced a 'time-triggered' disconnect using NAV4SP3 (NL) on a SQL2005 Server?

Before 08:00 and after 17:00 users are frequently disconnected.
Could the backup (scheduler) be interfering? :?

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    This shouldn't happen (off course), and I have not experienced this (yet).
    Is it Native or SQL?
    Did you recently upgrade?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Has anyone ever experienced a 'time-triggered' disconnect using NAV4SP3 (NL) on a SQL2005 Server?

This is VERY common with Native Database, Many people try to directly backup the Navision database and this locks it and kills the server service.

But as to SQL, then you need to make sure your backup software knows how to talk to SQL.
    David Singleton
  • GryphonriderGryphonrider Member Posts: 8
    Thank you, Waldo & David Singleton, for your quick responses to my question.

The disconnect occurs using a SQL DB; I'm currently gathering further information regarding this problem.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117

This is VERY common with Native Database, Many people try to directly backup the Navision database and this locks it and kills the server service.

if the service is killed, who will restart it exactly at 08:00AM ? :wink: If it woud be done manually, somebody would know. It it's done automatically, somebody should know about this, too.

It sounds like there is a group policy active...
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • GryphonriderGryphonrider Member Posts: 8
    Although I too expected group policy to be active, the SQL 2005 Server and network in question were scanned by external experts and considered to be functioning ok.. I've gathered some extra information regarding this issue:

- there are no login-restrictions active
    - backup-scripts start at 22:00
    - build of finsql.exe is 4.0.3.23305

Possible workaround (suggested by a collegue): TCP Keepalive-packets are sent to the server, the server responds with TCP Acknowledge-packages. If this operation fails once, the client disconnects. Can I change this (maybe allow some Acknowledge-packages to fail) to get less disconnects?

Second question: do these disconnects have anything to do with the license-file (flf)?
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    Although I too expected group policy to be active, the SQL 2005 Server and network in question were scanned by external experts and considered to be functioning ok.. I've gathered some extra information regarding this issue:

- there are no login-restrictions active
    - backup-scripts start at 22:00
    - build of finsql.exe is 4.0.3.23305

Possible workaround (suggested by a collegue): TCP Keepalive-packets are sent to the server, the server responds with TCP Acknowledge-packages. If this operation fails once, the client disconnects. Can I change this (maybe allow some Acknowledge-packages to fail) to get less disconnects?

Second question: do these disconnects have anything to do with the license-file (flf)?
    the SQL-Client automatically reconnects to the server in case he lost connection for whatever reason. If the SQL server is temporarily unavailable for backup or maintanance, the client will reconnect as soon as the server is available again, it would not be scheduled for 08:00.

I do not see this related to TCP at all. Did you check the SQL errorlog, windows eventlog ? If the users are disconnected at 17:00 (every day ?), you should find some information in the SQL logs if it's initiated from the server.

Try to ping the SQL server once the connection seems to be down to see whether there is a network related issue.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)