Nav 5.0 restore problem with keys

lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
When I backup and restore a 5.0 database only the primary key is enabled by default, none of the secondary keys are. This happens on all tables.

Anyone seen this before?
Navision developer

Answers

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    When doing a restore, Navision starts to restore the data and the primary key. When all data has been imported, Navision starts to create the other keys. Probably your restore has been interrupted at this point.
    Go in Tools=>Restore. Navision will tell you that you have a restore that hasn't finished and ask you to continue it or delete it. Continue the restore.
    IMPORTANT:be sure you didn't open the company, because this will corrupt your restored company and in this case you have to delete the company and restore it again.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
    Good idea, you were right. Somehow Nav said that the backup was restored successfully though, never saw this problem before 5.0

Thank you Kriki!
    Navision developer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    lzr wrote:
    Good idea, you were right. Somehow Nav said that the backup was restored successfully though, never saw this problem before 5.0

Thank you Kriki!

Actually its worked this way since the DOS version, so its not new, probably just that you never noticed it before. :wink:
    David Singleton
    After Nav say the backup was restored successfully it usually is. The secondary keys are usually created during this restore, in this case I had to do restore twice without any error messages. You mean this is normal? :?
    Navision developer
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    lzr wrote:

Thank you Kriki!

Actually its worked this way since the DOS version, so its not new, probably just that you never noticed it before. :wink:
    ...Somehow Nav said that the backup was restored successfully though...
    this indicates that there is an other "problem", as Navision said the backup has been imported successfully although the client didn't start to build the secondary keys.

I think it's worth observing this to see whether this happens under certain circumstances.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    lzr wrote:
    After Nav say the backup was restored successfully it usually is. The secondary keys are usually created during this restore, in this case I had to do restore twice without any error messages. You mean this is normal? :?
    It may feel to you like you had to restore twice, but what really happened was that the restore process was interrupted, and you had to complete it.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    DenSter wrote:
    lzr wrote:
    It may feel to you like you had to restore twice, but what really happened was that the restore process was interrupted, and you had to complete it.
    Behaviour was obviously like with all navision versions, but this time after Navision has claimed to have the restore completed :-k I never had to restart key-creation once Navision claimed it was a successful restore, only in case an error occured after the import and while creating the keys.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
    My colleague did this 4 times before me and she got the same result. it was the native database in all cases. Anyway if you don't experience the same result there is no need to investigate further.

Thanks for your input!
    Navision developer
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    My colleague experienced the same issue today. He had created a 5.0 db (native) and restored a 4.0 SP2 fbk file. NAV said the restore was finished, but only the primary keys were created.

He did this scenario another time (created 5.0 db, restore 4.0 SP2 fbk) with the same result.

In order to create the keys, he had to click on restore again.

Is this a known problem cq. :bug: in 5.0?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)