Unattented installation of Navision 4.0

KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
Hey guys, I'd need some info.
Is there way to install Navision 4.0 unattented, I'd need to install the client software fully on 20 computers in 1 day :/
K.S.

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    It IS possible, but I have no experience.

But really ... only 20 computers ... you can do that in one hour!

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    Waldo wrote:

Every installation should be similar, so if I install the computers invidually there is a risk that some compies differ. Would be easier also to just share it from server I think and run the installation with script. :o?
    K.S.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    Kisu wrote:
    Waldo wrote:

Every installation should be similar, so if I install the computers invidually there is a risk that some compies differ. Would be easier also to just share it from server I think and run the installation with script. :o?
    run it like this:

msiexec.exe /i "Navision Application Server 4.0 SP3.msi" /qb INSTALLLEVEL=1 /norestart /L*v c:\Naviinstall.log

where you have to specifiy the appropriate *.msi package and an (optional) log file when using /L. Installlevel = 1 indicates FULL installation

Try this on a local machine first. If you need to make some customization during installation, e.g. installation path etc, I only see the usage of a transformation file (*.mst)
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    todro wrote:

msiexec.exe /i "Navision Application Server 4.0 SP3.msi" /qb INSTALLLEVEL=1 /norestart /L*v c:\Naviinstall.log

where you have to specifiy the appropriate *.msi package and an (optional) log file when using /L. Installlevel = 1 indicates FULL installation

Try this on a local machine first. If you need to make some customization during installation, e.g. installation path etc, I only see the usage of a transformation file (*.mst)

Nice 1, that was what I was looking for :3
    I recalled that there was a website with unattented installation info but I lost the url. This also helps so that I can add it to our reinstallation script if client compies die.

Cheers =^^=
    K.S.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    This worked for me...
    Navision does not really need to be installed.
    1. Install in 1 machine.
    2. Copy the Nav folder from the installed machine to the other machines...
    3. Create the shortcut if necessary
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    idiot wrote:
    This worked for me...
    1. Install in 1 machine.
    although this is a common "solution", I do not suggest to go this way unless you already made a normal installation on that machine before. As there are several OCX and automation servers which have to be installed and registered, they aren't if you only copy the files.

For running a plain navision client this might work, but when using hyperlinks to start the client or using other ouside components like outlook integration, timer etc., you might face strange problems...
    Torsten
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    idiot wrote:
    This worked for me...
    1. Install in 1 machine.

Never do this in a live user environment. This type of install is ONLY ever for local development environment where you know exactly what you are doing.

[-X
    David Singleton
    idiot wrote:
    This worked for me...
    1. Install in 1 machine.

Never do this in a live user environment. This type of install is ONLY ever for local development environment where you know exactly what you are doing.

[-X
    This has been running live in production environment for 1yr plus working perfectly without any difference from the actual installation.
    Perhaps you know of any problems or issues?
    Please let us know so that we can learn :-k

Edit: I was just informed that even the 1st installation is not required. The folder from the installation CD can be copied to the machine directly & worked by running fin.exe or finsql.exe.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    idiot wrote:

Edit: I was just informed that even the 1st installation is not required. The folder from the installation CD can be copied to the machine directly & worked by running fin.exe or finsql.exe.
    Dynamics NAV will run fine, as long as you don't use any of the functionalities that needs a DLL. If you want to use Outlook synchronization for example, it will fail because the needed DLL cannot be found in the Windows registry. It is not enough that the DLL can be found in the directory where Dynamics NAV is installed, it needs to be registered. This registration job is done using the installation program, or manually when you run the command "regsvr32.exe yourdll.dll".
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    Learnt something today
    Thanks
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

idiot wrote:
    This has been running live in production environment for 1yr plus working perfectly without any difference from the actual installation.

Go to the object designer from one of these so called "installs" Show all object,s and then select All. Now hit F11 and see if you get any compiler errors.
    David Singleton
    idiot wrote:

Go to the object designer from one of these so called "installs" Show all object,s and then select All. Now hit F11 and see if you get any compiler errors.
    Yup as expected these errors are pertaining to the dll or ocx which Luc Van Dyck has mentioned previously.
    So assuming these automations are not used or regsvr32.exe is run to register the dlls the errors would be resolved...

It would seem that this "copy & paste + regsvr32" method is much faster than installation as a script file can be used... :-k

Edit: Before running the regsvr32, the automations were showing "unknown automation"; after running registering the ocx + dll there were no more errors & the correct automations were displayed
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

idiot wrote:

Go to the object designer from one of these so called "installs" Show all object,s and then select All. Now hit F11 and see if you get any compiler errors.[/quoted]
    It would seem that this "copy & paste + regsvr32" method is much faster than installation as a script file can be used... :-k
    as I said before, there are more references than registered DLLs / OCX. The setup also checks dependencies, it is condition-based (because OS version etc) and sometimes you will encounter C/AL runtime error messages even though the system seems to compile everything without errors. If you check afterwards, you might even find "Unknown automation" although it compiled. It seems as everything is OK for you regarding the DLLs, but e.g. the navision protocol extension navion:// is not registered, MDAC version is not checked etc.

If it would be that easy, why MS is not providing a simply batch file for registering the components ? Simply, because it's not enough :wink:
    Torsten
    idiot wrote:
    idiot wrote:

Yup as expected these errors are pertaining to the dll or ocx which Luc Van Dyck has mentioned previously.
    So assuming these automations are not used or regsvr32.exe is run to register the dlls the errors would be resolved...

Edit: Before running the regsvr32, the automations were showing "unknown automation"; after running registering the ocx + dll there were no more errors & the correct automations were displayed

Why use your customers as guinea pigs. Just use the installer and be done with it. ](*,)
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    idiot wrote:

OR.... (here's a novel idea....) you just install it from the CD.... :-k
    DenSter wrote:
    idiot wrote:

OR.... (here's a novel idea....) you just install it from the CD.... :-k
    \:D/ that's really creative
    There are reasons why certain things are done in certain ways & there are many ways to do certain things...

I'm just sharing my experiences & if it's not [-( just let me know...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    FYI 5.1 suppose to allow remote installation so looking forward to that.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n