Developers License

navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
Hi,

Can anyone tell is the procedure to procure the Developer's license in India?

Thx,

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    If you're an end user, you'll need to buy it from your NSC.

If you're a company trying to become a NAV VAR, then you should contact Microsoft directly.
  • slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 364
    What will be the average cost of a full featured developer license?
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    A true 'Developers' license is only available to autoroised resellars and as such can't be 'bought'

And end user license can have the 'developer' granules added but they are pretty expensive from memory and still are not quite as 'powerful' as an NSC developers license.

If you are an end user then contact your resellar for pricing. If you want an NSC lisence then you will need to contact Microsoft to see how you go about becomming authorised and therefore gain access to a full developers license.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
    we are looking for a NSC developer license..
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Then read the answer to your original question please.
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    even with an NSC license, you will not gain full access to certified add-ons...
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I know you are looking for the solution center license, but for those wondering, the developer license an end user can purchase cost $26000 in the US, and it requires the purchase of the application designer granule for $8000 also. so your total is $34000. this is pretty close to the full license the solution center has, except there are few tables you still can't post to, such as the posted g/l entries, and a few other posted entry tables. this makes it so an end user even with a developer license can not change some posted entries, which they shouldn't have access to.

if they did, then I don't believe an auditor would ever certify your financial statements, if you could change posted entries.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    themave wrote:
    I know you are looking for the solution center license, but for those wondering, the developer license an end user can purchase cost $26000 in the US, and it requires the purchase of the application designer granule for $8000 also. so your total is $34000. this is pretty close to the full license the solution center has, except there are few tables you still can't post to, such as the posted g/l entries, and a few other posted entry tables. this makes it so an end user even with a developer license can not change some posted entries, which they shouldn't have access to.

if they did, then I don't believe an auditor would ever certify your financial statements, if you could change posted entries.

I think this is wrong. The only difference between the Application Builder and the Solution Developer is that the Solution Developer gives you access to restricted tables such as G/L Entry.

This article End User NAV developer license - Dynamics explains it in more detail.
    David Singleton
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    themave wrote:

And do not forget to order the C/OCX granule as well ... if you want to use automation.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    ......I think this is wrong. The only difference between the Application Builder and the Solution Developer is that the Solution Developer gives you access to restricted tables such as G/L Entry.

This article End User NAV developer license - Dynamics explains it in more detail.
    I was pretty close, you get access to most everything but not quite all of it.

Here is the description of the application builder granule

You use this granule to change the business rules and special calculations that work behind the scenes. These business rules and special calculations are defined in a language we call C/AL (C/SIDE Application Language). While Application Builder includes access to C/AL, it does not allow access to existing C/AL code that updates write-protected tables (postings for instance). Application Builder lets you create entirely new areas of functionality for your application, enabling you to tailor Navision to fit your entire organization.This tool also enables you to create 100 Codeunit objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099).The Application Builder granule enables you to take advantage of the functionality included for developers in the Navigation Pane Designer. This means, for example, that you can create new menu items.Requirements: Report & Dataport Designer, Form Designer, Table Designer and XML Port Designer

here is the description of the solution developer

You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool.This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule.Requirements: Application Builder

So if you have the solution developer granule and you can change the protected tables, you will have to tell your auditors because that is a material fact that brings into question the validaty of your financial information and you will be required to show them the procedures you have in place that restrict and ensure that data is not manipulated, and that will be hard to do.
    themave wrote:
    I was pretty close, you get access to most everything but not quite all of it....

We were both close :mrgreen: , but both slightly off :wink: but we got there in the end.

By the way, although I totally agree with you about
    So if you have the solution developer granule and you can change the protected tables, you will have to tell your auditors because that is a material fact that brings into question the validaty of your financial information and you will be required to show them the procedures you have in place that restrict and ensure that data is not manipulated, and that will be hard to do.

Tell me then how you explain to the Auditors that for $49.95 the customer can buy SQL Developer's edition, and just go and change absolutely anything they want?

I think that is much more of an issue.
    David Singleton
    ..... Tell me then how you explain to the Auditors that for $49.95 the customer can buy SQL Developer's edition, and just go and change absolutely anything they want?

I think that is much more of an issue.
    It is, I think right now auditors are still turning a blind eye to it. Our auditors ( a big firm ) gave us a questionnaire to fill out, depending on the answers, it leads to further review, It is just a general feeling but I think most companies answer the questions so that the follow up is not done. But, with CEO having to put their signature on the financial statements that they are valid, I think we will see a lot less of the padded answers. Then the auditors will really be in a pickle, because they are going to have to come up with procedures to test for it. and it isn't going to be easy.

For us, I gave them a link to Microsoft site, and copy of our license, and a procedure manual that stated, the process to load updates and changes from our solution center and the testing process required before they are loaded. We are on the native database, and that was enough to meet their requirements.
  • venus1022venus1022 Member Posts: 13
    If I can get into Object designer and create fields, change forms, and create reports; do I have the Application Builder? If so, does the Application builder provide you to access the C/AL Code? If not, how can an end user access the C/AL code?
    venus1022 wrote:
    If I can get into Object designer and create fields, change forms, and create reports; do I have the Application Builder? If so, does the Application builder provide you to access the C/AL Code? If not, how can an end user access the C/AL code?

If you go to Tools --> License information, you should see if you have the Application Builder license. If you don't find it, then you don't have it.

If you don't have the license, you cannot access the C/AL code other than Report objects.
    I don't see it on the License information. Is there another way to see the C/AL code on the tables and forms? Are you knowlagable about the lead time field in the item card, in regards to ATp and CTP?
    venus1022 wrote:
    I don't see it on the License information. Is there another way to see the C/AL code on the tables and forms?

Yes. You can turn on the debugger. But you cannot control where the debugger goes.
    Thanks, do you know how muchan application builder license costs? Is there any restrictions on who can obtain an application builder license?
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It will cost you roughly $35,000...but you will still not have access to everything. Search the forum...there are even some pretty recent posts about what you get and what you don't.
    matttrax wrote:
    It will cost you roughly $35,000...but you will still not have access to everything. Search the forum...there are even some pretty recent posts about what you get and what you don't.

Don't forget that that is ON TOP of the cost of a full Navision end user license which you must purchase first.

You can't just pay the $35k and get a developer license.
    David Singleton
    Is there any other way for an end user customer to have access to the C/AL code and program into forms and tables, other than having a developer license
    NO!
    David Singleton