MSDN Kit - Developer License

navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an idea....does MSDN Kit (or the Partner Source) for the Gold certified partners carry the Developer's license?

I am doing customization at customer's site with remote connectivity through VPN. But m stuck at the User setup table. It does not allow me to create fields in the range 6038600.

Please advise...

TAD,

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    navimbs wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an idea....does MSDN Kit (or the Partner Source) for the Gold certified partners carry the Developer's license?

I am doing customization at customer's site with remote connectivity through VPN. But m stuck at the User setup table. It does not allow me to create fields in the range 6038600.

Please advise...

TAD,

6,038,600 is an Add-On, so only the developer of that Add-On has permission to create that Table.

Just find the Add-On objects and import them into your database.
    David Singleton
  • navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
    Do i need a developer license for the Add-on? Or i can work on the Customer's license?
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    That depends on what you are trying to do and if the Customers License has the add-on in it.

Providing they have the add-on licensed then you should be able to do anything with that object that you could do with a regular, below 50000, object.

If you are their NSC then you should be able to get Microsoft to add the add-on to your NSC license as well.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    navimbs wrote:
    Do i need a developer license for the Add-on? Or i can work on the Customer's license?

From all your current posts, it would appear that you are trying to do an Upgrade remotely. At a wild guess, it appears that this is the first time you have done an upgrade, and you are doing it alone.

Of course its very important to learn, but really a project of this scope should be done in conjunction with someone that has done it a few times before. The alternative, is that the upgrade will never be correct, and you will have to spend a lot of time fixing it later.

I assume you work for a Dynamics Partner, speak with them and get them to have you work with someone experienced.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but an upgrade is a huge project, and will go much smoother if done properly.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    When an add-on or vertical is created, it gets assigned a number range, and two granule numbers.

One granule number is the one that partners and customers get, and the permissions are determined by the people that have developed the product. Most products (with a very few annoying exceptions) will give you modify rights, so you can change anything in the objects that are part of the product. The only right you will not get (unless the developing partner puts it in the regular granule permissions) is insert rights. You will typically not be able to create new objects in the product's number range, or add fields in that range.

The second granule is what is called 'the insert granule', which contains permissions to all objects, and you can do anything, including creating and deleting objects in the product's object numbers.

Now when you don't have insert rights to a certain granule, you can still create fields in that product's number range, by importing the tables and letting the import worksheet 'Merge New to Existing'. This is the ONLY time that I would EVER use the merge capability of the import worksheet. This will add non-existing fields to the target database, even when the license you are using does not have insert rights. What you might need to do is remove the C/AL code from the add-on product, because the merge process does not add variables.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Oh and please follow David's advice. If you don't get some help from an experienced person, you may develop bad habits. Someone who's done it before will be able to teach you a faster and better way to do it.