Options

Project Green Dead?

WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
edited 2007-09-12 in General Chat
Directly from "Microsoft Dynamics Roadmap Partner FAQ July 2007".

Q: Is “Project Green” dead?
A: No. The vision we had for Project Green is still alive, but the delivery plan has evolved. In its earliest stage and our communication of it, Project Green was articulated as a new solution that would be „built from the ground up on Windows Vista (“Longhorn”)‟. Over time we determined that we could deliver this next generation of innovation in an iterative manner. So, while “Project Green” as a “net new, built from the ground up business application” may no longer exist, the goal of delivering a solution that enabled the connected business lives on and is currently being delivered against within all solutions within the Microsoft Dynamics line.

The entire document, you can download from:
https://mbs.microsoft.com/downloads/partner/MSDynamics/Resources/Microsoft_Dynamics_Roadmap_Partner_FAQ_July%202007_Final.pdf

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Lets just say I am glad not to be in marketing.

What a bla bla... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    edited 2007-08-24
    In other words, it's dead. :mrgreen:
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Its dead
    David Singleton
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    It's definately not alive, that's for sure :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2007-08-24
    I assume that is a good thing for you guys. :?: Does it help the future of Nav as stated in the other post.

ooops back on track..

"Project Green" := (((Alien) or (Predator)) + Humans);

PS - Finally! 1 Day left till Dream Theater @ Jones Beach
    http://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
  • Options
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    This is just my view on it, based on things I've heard, read and think. Nothing is based on facts.

A serious note.

Project green was initiated by microsoft wanting to become a player in the ERP market. They did that without extensive knowledge of the market and/or what the potential was of the sorfware packages they had in house.

Yes, we have had some scary moments a couple of year ago which even prevented me from starting freelancing earlier.

During the years MS realised that with project green they would probably kill their most succesfull ERP package, also the announcement had a very bad effect on the market since it was used by the competition.

For marketing this was quite a challenge how to change this. That's why this bla bla.

Yes, it is a good thing for us and for all Dynamics users, especialy NAV since we were almost dead. Now green is dead instead.

Fact is that a lot of stuff from green will be in the new releases. A lot of stuff in the new client comes from green. But instead of rebuilding they've adopted the new technology in the old packages.

As an end user or prospect you can hardly see the difference between the applications. Most of the frontend looks the same, at least at startup and they will all work on SQL Server and with webservices. In the future this integration will just continue...

This is just my view on it, based on things I've heard, read and think. Nothing is based on facts.
  • Options
    David_CoxDavid_Cox Member Posts: 509
    Project Green!

Is that Global Warming or Carbon Foot Print :lol:

Add it to the dead list of all the other "Next thing you must learn for Navision!"
    Analyst Developer with over 17 years Navision, Contract Status - Busy
    Mobile: +44(0)7854 842801
    Email: david.cox@adeptris.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Adeptris
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The next thing I would like to see MSFT concentrate on is narrow down the Dynamics product into 2 products instead of the current 4.

At this point, I feel it's going towards NAV and AX.
    NAV - for it's revenue growth year after year
    AX - for the market it's targeting
  • Options
    I'm sure GP and SL people would have a different idea.
    Although the idea of slowly consolidating the ERP system seems plausible. It would be more costly. You would have to implement all the features of the ERP system into the other. Retrain the solution centers, Have an upgrade route.

What is happening is though is that all these products are moving to SQL first, integrating with .NET. Having the same frontend.
    By the time the process is over it wouldn't make a difference, because they all will look a like and use a variation of .NET language be it c# or CAL.NET or dexteriy.NET. XAL.NET. Or a complete new Language ERP.NET.
    What will be left is variation of different table structures.
    That's when they would take the best of the designs and create one system that all would upgrade to.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    What language is that in? IN English Q & A stands for Questions and Answers. Well there were a lot of questions in that document but no Answers. ](*,)

This document is going to do as much damage to sales as they did when they first announced Green.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    The document is in "Sales English" :mrgreen: .

In my opinion:
    I agree with the fact that Project "Green" has become Project "Black". In the times they announced Project Green ... the SAP Business one-people had quite an easy job:"Here, just read this, NAV is going to be phased out". Now, we all see that it's Business One that is phasing itself out :wink:.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Alex Chow wrote:
    The next thing I would like to see MSFT concentrate on is narrow down the Dynamics product into 2 products instead of the current 4.
    That is not going to happen. There is just too big of a market for GP to get rid of it. I have no idea about SL, but GP in my opinion is not going to go away, at least not in the US.
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    I'm sure GP and SL people would have a different idea.

I know they would.

But it's not exactly a secret the sale of GP and SL has been stagnant compared with NAV.
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    Alex Chow wrote:
    That is not going to happen. There is just too big of a market for GP to get rid of it. I have no idea about SL, but GP in my opinion is not going to go away, at least not in the US.

Yeah, I know it may not happen. But I would like to see it happen.
  • Options
    Oh but I have a whole bunch of things I'd LIKE to see, but never will :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    Oh but I have a whole bunch of things I'd LIKE to see, but never will :mrgreen:

But it MAY happen.

If you owned these 4 products and many of them share the same functionalities. Wouldn't it make sense to trim them down?
  • Options
    Not if it hurts sales.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Well, if you own the 4 ... then it's just shifting money from the left pocket to the right :mrgreen: .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    There are ways to trim them down without sales hurting but it's time consuming process... I saw project green as such process (merging all products to one | evoluting all products to one).
  • Options
    JasonCJasonC Member Posts: 31
    If you think of Green as a product, it may be dead. If you think of it as the project Microsoft is going through to rationalize the 4 ERP's, not at all.

I'm not sure the underlying strategy has changed very much. Part of "project" green was about examining the best path to a future solution...maybe it was merging the products, instead it is what we have now, increasing amounts of shared code.

All the messaging around green has been fumbled badly by Microsoft, but I think it's mostly marketing people not understanding the nature of what dev was working on. So they go out and say there will be a brand new product...oops (Oracle's marketing people have done the same)...now they say no new product...maybe oops again?

I'd like to see a little more clarity, but confusing as the current message may be, it's not providing quite the competitive message to SAP, Epicor, Sage, et al as they previously did.

The irony is Epicor has a mix of disperate products to deal with, Oracle has Fusion, SAP has A1S and some looming product uncertainty, and Sage..don't even get me started on that mess. Yet all these companies had opportunity to sell based on product line FUD thanks to Microsoft.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    There were always two camps within Microsoft: the "MSDN camp" of "let's always use the coolest technology available regardless whether it's mature enough or will stay for long enough to count on" and the Raymond Chen camp of "use what works, maintain backwards compatibility, keep it safe".

In the last years it seemed like the MSDN camp won - see the compatibility problems of Vista or the Office ribbon bar which means throwing the CUA tradition out of the window and 20 years of accumulated user experience & training alongside with it - but what happened to Project Green might be the signs of the Raymond Chen camp coming back, maybe because of the above-mentioned issues. Which would be a great win for everybody as the distinguishing feature of this camp is that they are not barking insane, as opposed to the MSDN camp.