Vista & XP Clients problem

WojtekmWojtekm Member Posts: 123
Hi,

I have a strage case:
Most computers in company works on Windows XP but i have new computer with Vista. I installed client 4.0 sp3 with required roll-up`s and configurated SQL databese. But when i wont to open by database i get message: "you need to convert your database..."

Is it possible to work on one database with XP and Vista Clients?

best regards
Wojtekm

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    edited 2007-08-27
    You need to implement the required roll-up`s on all computers. xp and Vista.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You need only to install NAV SP3 on all PCs. After that, if you used older version, you need to convert the DB under the new client version. After that you cannot open the DB with older clients. It is common way how to use the newest client without complete upgrade (technical upgrade, c/side upgrade).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    @kine and @ara3n

It seems that your opinions are not the same.
    If I get it rigth (please correct me if I', wrong) Kine says all clients must have SP3, the vista clients have SP3 + Fix. Ara3n says all clients must have SP3 + fix.

I'm very interested on your point of view.

Thomas
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ta5 wrote:
    @kine and @ara3n

It seems that your opinions are not the same.
    If I get it rigth (please correct me if I', wrong) Kine says all clients must have SP3, the vista clients have SP3 + Fix. Ara3n says all clients must have SP3 + fix.

I'm very interested on your point of view.

Thomas

In my opinion they both said the same thing, and both are correct. I think Kamil was just adding some more detail.
    David Singleton
    What I said is the minimum. What ara3n wrote is the optimum... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • WojtekmWojtekm Member Posts: 123
    Thanks for advices!

I installed hotfix only on one comuter - converted databese and now it works fine :)

best regards
    Wojtekm
    kine wrote:
    What I said is the minimum. What ara3n wrote is the optimum... :-)

Sorry for beeing so insistent :o , but what is the result using the minimum or the maximum? Pros and cons?

Thanks
    Thomas
    Pro of optimum: all users are using same version, with solution for some bugs

Cons of optimum: all users are using same version, with some new possible bugs (created by changes for Vista compatibility)

As you can see, it is just question about "not using update for some problem, if I do not have this problem..."
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kine wrote:
    Pro of optimum: all users are using same version, with solution for some bugs

Cons of optimum: all users are using same version, with some new possible bugs (created by changes for Vista compatibility)

As you can see, it is just question about "not using update for some problem, if I do not have this problem..."

OK now I see the difference between Kamil's and Ahmed's posts. In that case, I think Ahmed is "more" correct. I always want all clients to be running the same executables, since its damn hard to support a client when they have different exe's even if its just a hot fix difference.
    David Singleton
    Thanks! :D