2 Contact cards created for each company whit Data Migration

mart1n0mart1n0 Member Posts: 123
I'm using the data migration tool from Navision 5 to import customers from the by Navison generated excel sheet.

Apart from creating a customer for each line a contact is created too of the type company. What I do not get is why a second contact is created of the type person too for each customer.

It also creates a bunch of empty contacts of the type company without name or anything, just a No. field.

Can anybody clear this out for me please?

Comments

• mart1n0mart1n0 Member Posts: 123
    Is there nobody that knows why this happens, or is the question not clear?
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Customers are only connected to contact of type company. It can’t be connect to person type.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
    Let's try to explain it better.

When I import the customer list from excel with the data migration this is what happens:

For each customer a contact card is created, the contact card is linked to the customer trough the Business Relation of type Customer.

Apart from this an empty contact card is created of the type person, the number of this empty card is filled in in the Primary Contact field.

What I don't get is why it is creating an empty (primary) contact for each customer since I don't have this field filled in in the customer Excel file to import.

It does not create this empty contact card for customers where the Contact (¡not Primary Contact!) field is filled in.
    Check if in Excel file that contains Contact field you have a text with white spaces. If you insert several white spaces in a customer card it will create an empty Contact Card.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Hi nunomaia, I already tried that but it's not working seams like it's ignoring contacts with just whitespaces. Only thing that worked was putting an x in all contact fields but thats not a good solution of course, I really would like to know why the behaviour is like this.

Another strange thing, if I put the x in all the contact fields, it still makes the contact card of type company linked to the customer but it does not fill in any fields anymore, so no name, no address, ...

I really don't get the point of this whole data migration like this?
    Let’s try another option

Import Contact in 2 files. In second file ignore field Contact.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    I'm sorry I don't understand what you want to say here.

I try to use the data importation feature of the 5.0.
    If I leave the contact and/or primary contact fields out it still created the empty contacts.

I don't see how importing trough 2 files would change this?

I understand that I can write a manual import but I just want to understand how the data import feature works. To see if it can really save me time using this instead of having to write import features.
  • Olav_COlav_C Member Posts: 1
    Hi mart1n0,

Did you find a solution to this issue?
    Is it possible to import customers using the migration tool and not getting two records (company and person) in the contact table?

Regards,