SQL Server Standard Edition

Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
Does anyone know if Navision (either 4.x or 5.x) will work with SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition, or only Enterprise Edition?

Thanks in advance... =D>

No one loves you like the one who created you...

Answers

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Yes it will. In fact, the standard edition of SQL Server 2005 is the best choice for most companies.
  • Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
    Thanks!

No one loves you like the one who created you...
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Highly recomended to use the 64 bit versions of Windows Server and SQL.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    bbrown wrote:
    Highly recomended to use the 64 bit versions of Windows Server and SQL.

Indeed,
    we noticed that the 64 bit version of the Standard edition supports more RAM and more CPUs then the 32-bit edition. So, in the long run, it could be that a 64 bit version is cheaper.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2007-08-22
    Navision will work with all editions.
    Enterprise, Standard, Workgroup, Express, Developer.

You must choose the version, which components you need. For example, Clustering, Replication, SSIS, DB-size, needed RAM etc. Or how much Processers you would be use on Server .....
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    garak wrote:
    Navision will work with all editions.
    Enterprise, Standard, Workgroup, Express, Developer.

You must choose the version, which components you need. For example, Clustering, Replication, SSIS,etc. Or how muchProcessers you would be use on Server .....

Express is limited to a 4 GB database. Making it impractical for most Navision installs.

Workgroup is limited to 3 GB RAM.

Developer cannot be used in production.

The only real choice is Standard vs. Enterprise.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    yes thats true bb, but you can use navision with all editions. Like for testing or small databases like cashpoints.

Its right, that for big databases only the standard or Enterprise edition the true solution is.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    I guess that all depends on whether you are talking about production or development/testing. For production, Workgroup, Express, and Developer are pretty useless.

For development the DB size limit of Express can limit its usefulness.
  • stamronstamron Member Posts: 32
    Is there anything on Partnersource that states NAV will work with any edition of SQL? I have someone that is asking for "proof".
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    stamron wrote:
    Is there anything on Partnersource that states NAV will work with any edition of SQL? I have someone that is asking for "proof".

Why don't you just install SQL on your laptop and show them? :mrgreen:
  • stamronstamron Member Posts: 32
    Not proof that SQL will work. They want to know that any SQL edition will work. Its foolish I know, but sometimes there is no reasoning. A white paper from Microsoft would be nice. I've searched Parnersource with no luck. ](*,)
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    stamron wrote:
    Not proof that SQL will work. They want to know that any SQL edition will work. Its foolish I know, but sometimes there is no reasoning. A white paper from Microsoft would be nice. I've searched Parnersource with no luck. ](*,)

I'm assuming that's because it's such a common knowledge that there is not a need to go into details about it.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    stamron wrote:
    If you're having this type of potential customer then you better be prepared.
    They'll start asking for ER diagrams soon which is going to be another headache.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger