NAV crashes when attempting to open a company.

stamronstamron Member Posts: 32
I recently upgraded some objects on a Navision database. Along with these upgrades, I improved the install from SP1 to SP3.

I can open the database using navision server, but when I try to open the company, the program crashes...I get the generic Windows crash popup and an unknown error in the event manager.

I pointed NAV server to the old DB to see if there was something there...same results. If I open the old database directly (not using navision server) I can open everything. This is not true with the new DB. If I open it directly...it crashes when I attempt to open a company.

The client and server build numbers are both 23305. Suggestions?

Comments

• Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    Please check codeunit 1:
    I've read sometime ago that you can only call SingleInstance Codeunits or call them with CODEUNIT.RUN(Codeunit::"4711");
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    stamron wrote:
    I recently upgraded some objects on a Navision database. Along with these upgrades, I improved the install from SP1 to SP3.

I can open the database using navision server, but when I try to open the company, the program crashes...I get the generic Windows crash popup and an unknown error in the event manager.

I pointed NAV server to the old DB to see if there was something there...same results. If I open the old database directly (not using navision server) I can open everything. This is not true with the new DB. If I open it directly...it crashes when I attempt to open a company.

The client and server build numbers are both 23305. Suggestions?
    Did you try to compile all objects ? Navision sometimes behaves a little bit strange when mixing objects from different versions without recompiling.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    edited 2007-08-22
    Are there customization in the CompanyOpen or LoginStart trigger?
    (in codeunit 1)

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    <deleted>
    sorry, a bit messed up thanks to slow connection.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • kolaboykolaboy Member Posts: 446
    Hi All,
    Can somebody explain to me the functions and importance of the Codeunits expecially Codeunit 1
    Thanks
  • stamronstamron Member Posts: 32
    I did compile all objects. It found 50+ errors, but they were mostly related to email or objects we don't touch.

I don't have anything in the startup paramater. I did have some customized objects. I deleted those and was able to open the company. One of the customizations was Menusuite 90 - which may not have been upgraded.

I re-imported the customized objects one at a time to see which one was the problem. After I re-imported the menusuite it wouldn't even let me open the database. Now I am back to square one. I am going to try the upgrade again on a fresh Server 2003 SP1 box and see what happens.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    stamron wrote:
    I did compile all objects. It found 50+ errors, but they were mostly related to email or objects we don't touch.
    I was not referring to non-compileable objects but to the fact that during the batch compiling , the objects are restructered and save according to the layout of the database it's compiled under. Normally problems occur if there is a change of properties and the blob layout for the object has changed. Although an object seems to be compiled, it might be invalid for a specific database version until it has been recompiled.

What changes did you make to menusuite 90 ?
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) I saw something simillar, when my Event Log was full. Try to check that
    2) If you have Visual Studio installed, you can try to use the debugger to see more info about the error.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ReinhardReinhard Member Posts: 249
    You should also check your User Menu Level table. These have blob fields... it's possible that Navision is having a problem dealing with your menu. Delete any records in this table for your user login. (You will lose your shortcuts, plus if you have removed the login from some menu areas, they will all be visible again.)

Worked for me.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Have you tried to reinstall NAS again?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • SunsetSunset Member Posts: 201
    Reinhard, ara3n

This thread is 3 years old unless I'm missing something, why bring it back?
    Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself
  • ReinhardReinhard Member Posts: 249
    I was searching the forum for help for my problem: a user could connect to the database, but got a generic windows error message when trying to open a company. It brought me to this thread. So I posted my solution to it so the next time someone else does a search for the same thing, maybe it will help them out.

Sorry to warm up an old thread though...