No. Series First Free Number

Dr_mjhDr_mjh Member Posts: 203
Hi Everyone,

When two users are working on the same journal at the same time they can have the same document number for their transactions but the first one to post the transaction who actually take the document number and this make the other have to change his document number. This is really a bugging issue in multi users environment. What is the logic when they did that? and how can we overcome this? Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Best Regards

Comments

• ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    Dr mjh wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

When two users are working on the same journal at the same time they can have the same document number for their transactions but the first one to post the transaction who actually take the document number and this make the other have to change his document number. This is really a bugging issue in multi users environment. What is the logic when they did that? and how can we overcome this? Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

In journal batch setup windows, for "posting no. series" and "no. series" fields, diferent no. series codes must be assigned..
  • Dr_mjhDr_mjh Member Posts: 203
    Thank you ahyan06 for your kind reply.

This is fine but in that case the user may be confused because the entry will have a number which will not be the same after posting and this therefore will make the search for an entry after posting is not that easy case.

What do you think guys?

Best Regards
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    The posted line bears the document number of the original one.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Best is to prevent this and create own no. series for each journal batch. Each user than use another batch.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jonsan21jonsan21 Member Posts: 118
    Hi,

What you can do is, like Kine said, each user to have their own journal, with their own no series. However, on each of this journal, pre-set the Posting No. series to a another no. series, which is a common one.

With this setup, though each user will use different document no when keying in the journal, but when they post the journal, the posted entries will be using a common running no, and off course, who post first will get earlier no. (Navision will control this, just like other any other posting)

Rgds,

Jon.
    Rgds,

Jon.
    Thank you all for your replies.

Let say for filing processes when using the posting no. series the document must be printed after posting which will be hard because the user can't predict the document number to print since the transaction take its number after posting. For the suggestion that to give each user an independent no. series I don't see this as practical use because they would have a lot of no. series for the same type of transactions which can cause trouble when filing.

What do you think guys?
    1) If you want to print something after posting, it is better to create some document to keep the data. e.g. Header and lines, which during postings will fill journal and post the lines. But after posting, you will have still some document (marked as posted or in table posted...) and users can print it from there. Another way is to print the "document" based on Register No. (e.g. after posting the process can show Register No. which was created) and users can use it to print the document. Or they just can find the register no. in the list (there is USER ID) and print it from there...

For me is best to create document and use it as base fro printing. It is the "standard" way. If you are using journal as common place to post documents, something is wrong. Journals are for correcting and for "low-level" access, not for common work...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thank you for your kind reply my friend,

My client has implemented only G/L and there are no documents with header and lines in G/L. Therefore the journals are the daily work for them.

Best Regards
    Ok, this throw light upon it...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    I think the user doesn't need to predict the posted document number, just use post and print. I'm not sure the posted doc. no appears but if not it can be added.