Options

Future of Navision

paul_navisionpaul_navision Member Posts: 64
edited 2007-09-12 in General Chat
Hi All,

I'm working in Navision from last one and half year. I've two certification C/SIDE Solution Development and Navision Financial. I'm commerce graduate. I want to know what will be future of Navision? Can anyone take Navision as a career for life long? My friends tell me to change the career towards SAP or Oracle. What do I do, I don't know? Please guide me.

Regards

Paul
Dynamics Nav Functional Consultant

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) you mean FUTURE of Microsoft Dynamics NAV... :wink:
    2) You can be sure that Microsoft will develop NAV and other Dynamics solutions and will support their existing customers. If there will be Dynamics NAV in year 2017 or it will be something else it is a question, but you can be sure that in next 6 years NAV will be there (but you can see the direction if you look at NAV 5.1 infos). But there will be some ERP system from Microsoft and will have NAV as one "Parent". And do not forget that there will be still customers using older versions and will need support...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Hi All,

I'm working in Navision from last one and half year. I've two certification C/SIDE Solution Development and Navision Financial. I'm commerce graduate. I want to know what will be future of Navision? Can anyone take Navision as a career for life long? My friends tell me to change the career towards SAP or Oracle. What do I do, I don't know? Please guide me.

To be honest ... nobody can answer this question. Not only for NAV, but either for SAP or Oracle... .

All we can say that NAV is still growing each year in Europe (where it's no. 1 ERP system in its segment) and is the fastest growing ERP system in the US.
    All I can "feel" from Microsoft is that they have a strong focus on the way NAV is working today (talking about simplicity / easily changing business rules / ...), so for me, NAV is a pretty sure bet.

But I do think that you have to focus on the entire package, not NAV alone. For that, I mean: SQL Server / Sharepoint / BI / ... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    When I started with Navision 10 years ago friends told me I was nuts. It was in the golden era when everyone could start a career in IT. Back then it was very easy to get an SAP or Oracle training.

Since then the SAP market in Holland has crashed a couple of years ago while the Navision market kept growing and growing. My friends lost their jobs.

If you have good Navision skills you can easily get any job you want.

I stuck with Navision and these days help customers and partners with problems which knowone else can solve. (The Navision A-Team). :mrgreen:

Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You're going to have to make that decision yourself Paul. Just consider that Microsoft wants to beat SAP and Oracle to a pulp, and I would personally not bet against that. Besides, there is so much other work in the Microsoft stack that a career in NAV will come with MANY interesting opportunities.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You're asking a question in a NAV forum so it's not uncommon to receive an biased answer supporting NAV. :mrgreen::wink:

Nonetheless, I don't think anyone can help you answer that question other than yourself. I know a few people (old people) that still works with COBOL and are making a healthy living. So it's really up to you to stick with NAV or go with SAP or Orcale.

In the end, you can make a healthy living no matter what you do. :D
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yes Alex is quite right. SAP and Oracle are both big players, and should provide plenty of opportunities for good people. You won't make a bad decision deciding to go with either one of them. In general I always tell people to find something they like to do and make a living out of that.
  • Options
    grigri Member Posts: 87
    i agree with all the guys which wrote above that you can find a decent job on either products, be it sap or navision.
    what can i add is that i worked both with sap r3 and navision and in the last two years i was put into a position to chose between jobs on these two products.

and now i'm working with navision :lol:
    i even went so far to create two topics on sapfans and mibuso and you can see for yourself the results
    http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9624

the funny thing is that on tha sap forum there were people saying go with navi, but on mibuso, the score was 4-0 for navi.

hope this helps.. :roll:
  • Options
    Good choice.
    Already 9-0 for NAV :wink:.
    The design of the SAP-forum looks really familiar :wink:.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    gri wrote:
    i even went so far to create two topics on sapfans and mibuso and you can see for yourself the results
    http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=
    Sorry to read you find mibuso rather lame compared with sapfans :cry:
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    c'mon, please don't take it like that, 'cos now i'm sad and feeling awful
    :oops:

i can explain why i wrote that. i'm a functional consultant, i have no skills and no interest into the development side of navision, beyond the most basic stuff.
    Mibuso is, unfortunately, much dryer for me than it was sapfans some years ago, because it's much more a developer oriented forum. let's face it! all the guru's and all the experienced user's from around here are developers or consultants with both developing and functional skills.
    maybe 75 percent of the questions and topics regarding navision are development oriented questions and topics.
    that's why i wasn't able to find in mibuso what i was used to in sap community, a more feature and functionality oriented forum.
    you know, in sap world, the development is the final solution, not the first or maybe second, as in navision (ok, a lot of guys will say that this is not entirely true, but it serves the purpose of illustrating the picture)

but this is much more related to the product itself and to the product strategic approach of the market and it has nothing to do with the efforts or the quality of the work you guys are doing here.
    which i totally understand and appreciate. the valuable help and the sharing of knowledge and passion that guys like you or kine or david singleton or nuno maia or waldo or... (i will stop now, altough i could go on with at least a dozen of others like alex chow or savatage or ... here i go again..) so.. i was saying that the unselfish sharing with the community which the gurus from mibuso are doing is by nothing lesser than that which ha tran or svetja or others from sapfans are doing and is nothing lame about it.
    the only thing that made me write that unfortunate posting is the slightly different approach on consulting that those two communities are embracing.

please, Luc, accept my sincere apologies, i hope this post will clarify what i wanted to said there and did it so badly.
  • Options
    All I got from that post is that this forum was more serious.
    and there general discussion forum is very lame, therefore you will probably have to work more and chat less....
    For me, that's most important :wink:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    gri wrote:
    please, Luc, accept my sincere apologies, i hope this post will clarify what i wanted to said there and did it so badly.
    All right, all right ... I was only joking. Next time we meet, you buy me a beer if you still feel awful;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    ok. i'll probably still feel quite awful, therefore i will absolutely buy you a beer the first time I'll met you.
    and i hope this first time will be in copenhagen, at convergence.

the first is on me, then!
  • Options
    I think convergence is going to be a meeting point for a lot of us mibuso-guys :D . There, you'll see that the future of NAV is "promising" :mrgreen: .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    LOL... Even people on the SAP forum is telling you to go with NAV. On the other hand, they might try to eliminate the competition by telling you to go with NAV.
  • Options
    yeah, those devious SAP consultants! :lol:
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    because it's much more a developer oriented forum

because it's a much more development oriented product and 75% of the questions don't have standard solutions that wouldn't either be lame or error-prone or tedious to use

on the other hand these developments are usualy done quicker than configuring the corresponding standard functionality in SAP if the given industry template configuration does not cover it