Development in a Native Db adviseable?

BrannmarkBrannmark Member Posts: 9
I have a customer that is running SQL Server 2005 database against Navision 4.0 SP1.

I really dont want to setup his db in my development enviroment that has SQL server 2000.

Can I take a backup of his db to a native db, and then use the native db to develop on and the fob the things I have changed? Or will Going from SQL server to Native, and then use the FOB's from the native cause me much headache???

Advise, any one done this? I have so far only developed things using an SQL server in the backend...

Things to consider?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Lets for a moment ignore the issue that you should be on SP3 if using SQL.

It really depends what you are doing. I always recommend that you develop on the same environment as the client has. If you are using the client DB to design prototype and tesitng out general ideas, then no problem using a different database, for example, for Project Managers, or analysis.

But if you are developing the final code that will go into the live system, then really you need to be on the same platform as the client. The subtleties really don't so much matter at the design level, but I have seen a lot of cases where it matters.

I am specifically working on a client site that runs on SQL 2000, and I do work on SQL 2005, but clearly the two are different, an I can not develop objects in my system and send them to the client, for risk that they may not work.
    David Singleton
  • BrannmarkBrannmark Member Posts: 9
    Well the company that has done the previous work has not documented which objects has been changed. And also removed the modified "check box". So I havent dared to upgrade him yet, recently got him as client.

Ok, will install a exactly same sql server at my servers and get the db to me.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    I agree with David, it’s always better to use the same environment has customer have.
    Developing in Native and apply your objects in SQL you could have some problems in performance are, because they work differently. A few times I had already some code that worked quite well in Native and it didn’t run in SQL.

In new customers I don’t even trust documented objects trough version list. I use the best tool available to compare objects “Developer toolkit”. :D
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You can install the developer edition of SQL Server 2005 and run it next to SQL Server 2000.