Rename Dimension Value

forestforest Member Posts: 8
I need to rename a global dimension value. My problem is we have multiple companies and we share the Dimension,Dimenision Value, Default Dimension etc tables. When I rename the dimension value from an open company, NAV rename all the entries (such as PO line, GL Entries etc; which are not shared) for all the companies. That creates problem for us. I could write a program to rename the dimension, but it would take time and open to problems if I miss any tables. I wonder if any one has experiences or ideas how this can be done easily. Any tips? Thanks.

Answers

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Have the DataPerCompany flag on the table been set to No? (The default is Yes). If this is the case the it could get a little difficult. Before you go and sink a lot of time into renaming all the fields. You could try setting the DataPerCompany back to No, make the change in the one company & then put it back to Yes. That's just something I would try....I have not ever played with the setting after data has been written to the table.

If that's not the case then renaming the dimension value should only affect data in the one company that you rename it in.

No matter what you try the usual precaution of taking a backup and experimenting on a non production server is recommended :wink:
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hi forest,

what do you define as a "Company", since as jlandeen points out, this should not be happening. More information is needed to help you on this.
    David Singleton
  • forestforest Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, jlandeen and David.
    I thought about to change back the DataPerCompany to Yes and rename it and then change it back. But seems that it will not be a easy way either because I will need to export all the dat and delete them before I can change the setting. I wonder if you know all the tables that NAV updates on Renaming Dimension. Thanks.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Yikes! That sounds like a tricky situation. Without knowing about all of the different modifications that have been made it's tough to say. I would start by loading all of the objects into the developer's toolkit and use the Where Used on the document dimension or document dimension value table and restrict the list to only other tables. This should give you a starting list.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    forest wrote:
    Thanks, jlandeen and David.
    I thought about to change back the DataPerCompany to Yes and rename it and then change it back. But seems that it will not be a easy way either because I will need to export all the dat and delete them before I can change the setting. I wonder if you know all the tables that NAV updates on Renaming Dimension. Thanks.

You should never change the DataPerCpmpany flag on Base Navision Tables. You need to take a look at that now, and consider changing it back to original.

I would also carefully look if you have done this anywhere else in the program.
    David Singleton
  • SunsetSunset Member Posts: 201
    There is no easy way you can do it. However if you plan to make a code that changes it table by table there are quite a few places you have to change it. The default tables that keep records of dimensions in them are:

348 Dimension
    349 Dimension Value
    350 Dimension Combination
    351 Dimension Value Combination
    352 Default Dimension
    354 Default Dimension Priority
    355 Ledger Entry Dimension
    356 Journal Line Dimension
    357 Document Dimension
    358 Production Document Dimension
    359 Posted Document Dimension
    360 Dimension Buffer
    361 G/L Budget Dimension
    362 Posted Prod. Doc. Dimension
    367 Dimension Code Buffer
    368 Dimension Selection Buffer
    369 Selected Dimension
    373 Dimension Entry Buffer
    375 Dimension Code Amount Buffer
    388 Dimension Translation
    389 Service Contract Dimension
    5106 Document Dimension Archive
    5648 FA Allocation Dimension

On top of these you need to find every single table that links to dimension. Like G/L Account, customer, vendor, item etc.

I would think that the best way to do it is to get the tables back to DataPerCompany, and then rename for each company.
    Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself
  • forestforest Member Posts: 8
    After I investigated the possibility and difficulities on chnage the Dimension and Dimension Value, Default Dimension to be not shared across all the companies. It will not be an option to us. I write code to rename the dimension. Thank you for all the suggestions and responses.