Rename ITEM NO

JAYESHJAYESH Member Posts: 290
HI to all...

I want to rename ITEM No.
Can any one tell me Its work fine after renamaning the ITEM no.
OR its occurs error.

The item is used from long time and its consists lots fo entries.

Thank you

Waiting for your Reply
JAYESH PATEL

Answers

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    JAYESH wrote:

the system will go thru all related tables and change it everywhere. If this is an old item and your DB is larger than 10gb - I suggest you do this over a weekend because it will take a lot of time.

we usually just make a new item# - it's not worth the trouble for us. Then set the Substitues item# for the old item to the new item.

This way if anyone accidentally enters the old # on a sales order then new item # will come into play.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    I would never Rename an Item No. when there are many Entries or posted documents, linked Informations for this Item.

When you will be sure, that the item will not use, block it .
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Savatage wrote:
    JAYESH wrote:

the system will go thru all related tables and change it everywhere. If this is an old item and your DB is larger than 10gb - I suggest you do this over a weekend because it will take a lot of time....

Its very fast on SQL though.
    David Singleton
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    yes on SQL Server its fast, but u must sure, that all table are changed:!:
    In same cases you can't use the Tabelrelation Propertie and must develeop the relation by using the lookup triggers. These records in rel. Tables are not changes. so, you must do this manuell / function after Rename.

I mean its an bad idea to rename Primery Keys with many entries in rel. Tables. Its also locks the tabels.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    garak wrote:
    yes on SQL Server its fast, but u must sure, that all table are changed:!:
    In same cases you can't use the Tabelrelation Propertie and must develeop the relation by using the lookup triggers. These records in rel. Tables are not changes. so, you must do this manuell / function after Rename.

I mean its an bad idea to rename Primery Keys with many entries in rel. Tables. Its also locks the tabels.

Well there is not much you can do to allow for poor programming practice. :wink: But yes you are correct that there are some bad developers out there that don't know how to follow Navision standards and can mess up a database.

I have never had an issue with renaming Items.
    David Singleton
  • JAYESHJAYESH Member Posts: 290
    Thanks for the information..
    JAYESH PATEL
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    If there is an external POS system connected via an interface with daily batch imports, renaming the item can cause lots of trouble because the item nos. don't match during the renaming and processing. NAV has the new no., the POS system sends the old one until the next export ( and successful processing in the POS) of the changed item.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    We rename item no's all the time, never had a problem

navtive database, 25 gigs, 25,000 items in database, takes about 15 -20 minutes to rename an item.