Error message on Nav4 sp2

milindmilind Member Posts: 130
"However, Navision displays an error message if there is not sufficient free space to
perform the current task. It also displays an error message if you are performing a
time-consuming task and all the available space in the database that contains your
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
snapshot has been used by other concurrent activities."

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    milind wrote:
    "However, Navision displays an error message if there is not sufficient free space to
    perform the current task. It also displays an error message if you are performing a
    time-consuming task and all the available space in the database that contains your
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    snapshot has been used by other concurrent activities."

I guess you got this error message and want to know what to do. Is this part of your other message:

It basically means you need to expand your database. You can find information about that here:

Expand the database

Expanding a Navision 3.70 Database

If you did expand you database, and still get the message, then you may have a problem, depending on what version you are on. The problem has been discussed in these threads:

Crash Navision 2.06
    David Singleton
  • vyankuvyanku Member Posts: 791
    I got the same error. I am using NAV 4.0 SP2 native DB. This error is occured on client site. It shows the above error message. When I expand the database then also it shows me the same error message. What can I do.?Is it required to reinstall?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Take down the database service (you probably want to do this during off hours, so you don't interfere with users), open the database file directly, and then try to expand it.
    I already done this also.
    I copy that database at another location . expand it by 15GB. But still it shows 100% used. in database information.
    Is there any other solution to do it?
    vyanku wrote:
    I already done this also.
    I copy that database at another location . expand it by 15GB. But still it shows 100% used. in database information.
    Is there any other solution to do it?

You need to log off all users, and connect directly to the Database.
    Create a backup.
    Upgrade your executables probably to 4.00sp3
    Create new database
    Then restore the Backup.

Note that you may need to set the DB to readonly to be able to create the backup.

It seems this error pops up in various versions of Navision, and the fix is generally to update the EXEs
    David Singleton
    Thanks David Singleton. But why this type of errors are occured?
    Is there any other solution to resolve this type of problem?
    Is there any solution to prevent from this error in future?
    vyanku wrote:
    Thanks David Singleton. But why this type of errors are occured?
    Is there any other solution to resolve this type of problem?
    Is there any solution to prevent from this error in future?

I have not seen it happen twice for the same company. It a bug that occurs vary rarely, it seems to happen when you don't have enough free space on the DB, i.e. you let it go to almost 100%, and then some transaction tries to push it to 100%. I have never been able to reproduce it, but I have specifically seen it happen 3 times, and heard of 3 or 4 other cases.

I have a gut feeling that its also related to bad network traffic at the same time as the 100% being hit.

I think it can also be fixed with C/DART, but a backup restore is probably the easiest.
    David Singleton
    I got the same error again. What I done. I just create new datatabase restore the previous backup and replace this database with exesting database.
    What must be the problem ?
    Is this happend due to any other currepted file in Navision?
    This situation happend agin when that server is swithed off by power failuer.
    So is this is problem of hardware?Powerfailuer?
    vyanku wrote:
    I got the same error again. What I done. I just create new datatabase restore the previous backup and replace this database with exesting database.
    What must be the problem ?
    Is this happend due to any other currepted file in Navision?
    This situation happend agin when that server is swithed off by power failuer.
    So is this is problem of hardware?Powerfailuer?

Interesting. In my experience, upgrading to the newest Executables has always fixed this error. One case the user was on the current Executables, but there was a hot fix available for it.

You did reinstall to the latest executables right?

Of course your case could be unique, and different from what I have seen before. You should also search on Partner Source about hot fixes for this.
    David Singleton
    will u please tell me what key word I have to find on partner source for this hotfix?
    You need to log off all users, and connect directly to the Database.
    Create a backup.
    Upgrade your executables probably to 4.00sp3
    Create new database
    Then restore the Backup.

Note that you may need to set the DB to readonly to be able to create the backup.

It seems this error pops up in various versions of Navision, and the fix is generally to update the EXEs

Did you do all these steps?

What EXE are you now running on?
    David Singleton
    I do not replace any exe file I just replaced my database file.
    vyanku wrote:
    I do not replace any exe file I just replaced my database file.

Well to fix the problem, you should upgrade your exe files. But if this happened twice, then its reproducible, so you should be able to report this to MS as a bug.

We did submit it once, but it was difficult since we could not reproduce it, since our priority was getting the client live, and we did that with new executables in all cases.
    David Singleton
    OK
    Now what I have done I uinstall database server and database client.
    Reinstall Database server and client. I think it replace and update all the exe files.
    I create a new database and restore the previous backup on it.
    Now every thing is running well. But if again I will get the same error I will definetly report this to MS as a bug. .
    Now I hope this error must not come again.
    Thanks a lot David Singleton.
    vyanku wrote:
    OK
    Now what I have done I uinstall database server and database client.
    Reinstall Database server and client. I think it replace and update all the exe files.
    I create a new database and restore the previous backup on it.
    Now every thing is running well. But if again I will get the same error I will definetly report this to MS as a bug. .
    Now I hope this error must not come again.
    Thanks a lot David Singleton.

You are welcome :mrgreen:

By the way in my experience, after following those steps the problem is fixed, but of course its still possible that I have not seen everything, and for sure the error could come back.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I still think that this is a network error.

It may help to talk to the IT Network people there, and ask them if there are a very large number of collisions and bad packets on the network, and if so try to have them fix it.

Anyway great that its fixed.
    David Singleton