Options

Missing data in independant tables after restore

ecarmodyecarmody Member Posts: 53
edited 2007-08-10 in SQL General
Hello,

Why would all my company independant tables be missing data (zero rows) after a restore to a new/clean SQL Navision database from a Navision Native database backup?

All the structures were created and the application runs, independant tables are all creates, they are just empty.

Would that happen if I chose CUSTOM restore instead of ENTIRE or ALL?

Thanks,
Eric

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    When you create (and Restore) a backup, there are three tick box options:
    Company Data
    Objects
    DataCommon to All companies

These tables you have lost are all in the last option.

Now if you have an existing database, and it already contains common data (say security setup data) then the restore can not import these tables.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Thanks, David.

I will have to redo another backup and confirm that option is checked on.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • Options
    Actually, I just checked with the administration fellow who manages the backups. He showed me the backup screen and confirms that the "Data Common to All" is checked on when he does the backup.
  • Options
    ecarmody wrote:
    Actually, I just checked with the administration fellow who manages the backups. He showed me the backup screen and confirms that the "Data Common to All" is checked on when he does the backup.

Yes but was it ticked when you did the restore? If you restore into an existing database then it wont default import those tables. You need to do a FILE->DATABASE->NEW, then do the restore.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    humm ... on the restore screen those two checkboxes (Data Common to All, and Application Objects) are both disabled and grayed out. Why would that be?

I guess too, that that's the reason now common data. Now how to get those checkboxes enabled?
  • Options
    ecarmody wrote:
    humm ... on the restore screen those two checkboxes (Data Common to All, and Application Objects) are both disabled and grayed out. Why would that be?

I guess too, that that's the reason now common data. Now how to get those checkboxes enabled?
    ...You need to do a FILE->DATABASE->NEW, then do the restore.
    :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Ok, running restore on new database now. DataCommon to All is checked, but the damn Application Objects is disable/grayed out and unchecked!
  • Options
    ecarmody wrote:
    Ok, running restore on new database now. DataCommon to All is checked, but the damn Application Objects is disable/grayed out and unchecked!

How did you create the new database?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    File - Database - New

Then I entered a new database name; it was already pointed to the correct SQL server. The only thing I change is the Recovery option, I change it to Simple because it takes a lot less transaction space.

I add my user id right away into Security, Windows Logins. Then start the restore. It prompts me to overwrite the security tables; I answer NO. Would that be causing issues?

In my past experiences if I let it restore the security tables, then my windows login that I was connected with to create the database is not included in the security tables and I cannot reconnect to the database.
  • Options
    ecarmody wrote:
    File - Database - New

Then I entered a new database name; it was already pointed to the correct SQL server. The only thing I change is the Recovery option, I change it to Simple because it takes a lot less transaction space.

I add my user id right away into Security, Windows Logins. Then start the restore. It prompts me to overwrite the security tables; I answer NO. Would that be causing issues?

In my past experiences if I let it restore the security tables, then my windows login that I was connected with to create the database is not included in the security tables and I cannot reconnect to the database.

As soon as you create a log in, you are entering data intot he database, creating tables and data, so its no longer a new database.

You need to create a new database, and restore the database into it whilst it is still empty. Once restore is complete, then you can create your user id (just don't log out before creating the user.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Ok ... abort restore; deleting database; restore anew; then create my login.

Got it. Thanks much for the hand holding. We'll see how this one goes.

Cheesr,
    Eric
  • Options
    well, this one looks better. \:D/ All options now available (not disabled) and all checks on. I guess I was shooting my own foot before by creating my login first, before doing restore. A lot of trial and error here.

This restore probably will run for about 4 hours.

Thanks again for your help, :D
    Eric
  • Options
    ecarmody wrote:
    well, this one looks better. \:D/ All options now available (not disabled) and all checks on. I guess I was shooting my own foot before by creating my login first, before doing restore. A lot of trial and error here.

This restore probably will run for about 4 hours.

Thanks again for your help, :D
    Eric

Another satisfied customer then :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David, FYI ... all went well with the restore. =D>
  • Options
    ecarmody wrote:
    David, FYI ... all went well with the restore. =D>

great to hear.