ALL Role and associated permissions

titantektitantek Member Posts: 50
Is it standard procedure to give all users the ALL role?

I've noticed that after adding this role, users are able to see everything in the main menu, and this is not the desired outcome.

thax

Answers

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I think it is pretty standard. Everytime I would assign new roles to users they would always already have ALL listed.

If you are using the base roles they should still be able to click on things but they will get error messages because they don't have access to the data, just the forms.
  • titantektitantek Member Posts: 50
    Okay. I'm in a multi company environment and for some companies a very limited main menu appears. Is that not controlled by the security settings per login?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    titantek wrote:
    Is it standard procedure to give all users the ALL role?

I've noticed that after adding this role, users are able to see everything in the main menu, and this is not the desired outcome.

thax

You may be missing something here.

basically YES the ALL role is assigned to All users in your Navision system.

BUT
    This assumption is based on the fact that you in conjunction with your Navision partner have customized the ALL group only to cover what is need by YOUR company. You can not simply use the ALL role that comes with the Demo company and assume that it will match your business model.

For example the Demo ALL role assumes that you are using Tale level security, where all users have access to all Forms and Reports, but are limited by the data they can access.

This should have all been discussed and designed with your partner before you even started implementing Navision, but I am guessing they skipped that step. :wink:
    David Singleton
  • titantektitantek Member Posts: 50
    Yes, I jumped in long after this ship had set sail and it seems like a few steps were skipped.

Thanks for the insight. As matttrax mentioned, the user can't actually access the data, and testing has proved this. That being said, I believe we are okay for now.

Thanks