Client disconnects

colin_leversuch-robertscolin_leversuch-roberts Member Posts: 113
nav 4.0 sp2 with sql2005 database. I'm told we are getting increasing numbers of client disconnects, with the generic error message about deadlocks. sql server ended the session etc. I have plenty of monitoring on the sql server and I know it cannot initiate a session close anyway, no deadlocks. I also suffer with disconnects for nas service. Is this a "known" problem or better still could someone describe the circumstances where navision client decides it wants to disconnect. I watched a team member get disconnected a number of times in succession with no apparent issues on the server - do you have a base client spec, maybe memory or something - our clients are xp sp2
thanks, any pointers would be useful.

Comments

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Navision SP2 wasn’t designed for SPQL 2005 only 2000. To use SQL 2005 you should use SP3 with the lasted fixes. I never experienced such error I have clients that has Navision connect during days and until know there isn’t any problem. I advice you to check networking problems and upgrade client to SP3.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • hmm .. that's interesting, my clients were told that to go to nav 4. sp2 they had to upgrade to sql2005.
    We're actually a couple of weeks away from upgrading production to sp3 release 5, we're still testing, but in the meantime as DBA I'm getting the brunt of user discontent < grin > one of the big complaints is disconnects which are blamed on the sql server. I have a meeting with out network people later today as I do think we might have problems there - nearly all clients connect through a citrix farm too, although complaints come from both citrix and fat client users.
    thanks.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hmm I don't tend to agree with these comments.

3.70B will NOT run on SQL 2005, it is only supported on 2000.

4.00 Runs on Either version of SQL, but is not a recommended version in any situation.

4.00 SP1 and SP2 should not be run on SQL they have too many issues.
    4.00 SP1 is just as bad as 4.00.
    (4.000 SP2 runs great on Native)

4.00 SP3 runs on SQL 200 or 2005 or Native and is generally rock solid.

5.00 personally I like, I have no real issues with it, though I know there are some issues in SQL 2005 with Execution plans on Forms when keys are changed.

In your case, I would definitely recommend moving to SP3.

Also (and I shouldn't say this), but the NAV partner should have known this and already recommended it. :evil:
    David Singleton
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    nunomaia wrote:
    Navision SP2 wasn’t designed for SPQL 2005 only 2000. To use SQL 2005 you should use SP3 with the lasted fixes. I never experienced such error I have clients that has Navision connect during days and until know there isn’t any problem. I advice you to check networking problems and upgrade client to SP3.

Actually the first release designed for SQL 2005 was SP1. SP2 introduced the "Standard Security" model because a lot of people complained about the "Enhanced Mode". SP2 also contained bug fixes. SP3 contained more fixes. While it is true that SP3 is the version to use with SQL 2005, it was not the first.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    bbrown wrote:
    ...SP2 introduced the "Standard Security" model because a lot of people complained about the "Enhanced Mode". ...

I thought that was SP3 :?:
    David Singleton
    bbrown wrote:
    ...SP2 introduced the "Standard Security" model because a lot of people complained about the "Enhanced Mode". ...

I thought that was SP3 :?:

That's right. The security change came out in SP3. There's so many versions to keep track of. :oops:

Interesting list. It's missing 2.65 - The first Commerce Gateway release.
    bbrown wrote:

Interesting list. It's missing 2.65 - The first Commerce Gateway release.

Feel free to add it :D
    David Singleton
  • thanks for all the info - so would you say I should wait until sp3 is in production and then re-evaluate the situation? The client disconnects are a real pain and sadly there's some strange notions amongst the business that if they have a problem they can call support to have any other connections killed off so they can work!!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Still, check the network and possible error logs in event log.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.