Objects Merge

navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
We have database A at HO with standardized customizations. We have a regional database B at another country with localizations that is running live. Both the databases A & B are in NAV 4.0 SP3 version only. Modified objects from A are to be merged to B. I have following questions:
1. What will be the steps to Merging?
2. How much time it will take to do merging of around 500 objects?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Navimbs

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The biggest question is "what version are the two DBs"

If both are the same (say 4.00sp3 IN) then it could be fairly straight forward. If one is a local and one World Wide (eg 4.00sp3 IN and 4.00sp3W1) then its more work, but not too difficult. but if its two local versions that are very different (e.g. 4.00sp3 IN and 4.00sp3 IT), then you could have a huge task on your hands.

So before going further, what are the FULL versions?
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    it also depends on how much the customizations depend on localization functionality. You're faced with a huge task if you have customization intricately working with localizations, because you'll have to decide which part of the lozalization needs to be replicated in the second database, which brings a whole set of new problems along.

As long as it's new functionality it should not be a big job to be able to isolate the new code and merge that into another database, as long as the code is well documented. If the code is not well documented, you're looking at more work. Not more difficult, but just more work, because first you have to determine what code is custom, and then you have to merge that into the second database,

After that is all done, it needs to be tested.
  • navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
    Thanks DenSter.

Your inputs were very valuable.

I believe i have a similar problem. The case is:
    1. I have LS Retail with customization & localization at HQ, to be merged to the LS Retail higher version at another location.

2. Both the navision versions are same.
    A– W1 4.0 SP3 (4.0 SP3)
    B– W1 4.0 SP2 (4.0 SP3)

3. How to find the version of LS Retail? (Help->About gives me the NAV version and not LS Retail version)

4. There are changes/additions in the LS Retail base code than customizations in the freshly implemented LS Retail at a location. While the navision versions are same at both locations.

How do i work out this situation?

Regards,
    Navimbs
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    navimbs wrote:
    Thanks DenSter.

1. I have LS Retail with customization & localization at HQ, to be merged to the LS Retail higher version at another location.

A– W1 4.0 SP3 (4.0 SP3)
    B– W1 4.0 SP2 (4.0 SP3)

3. How to find the version of LS Retail? (Help->About gives me the NAV version and not LS Retail version)

4. There are changes/additions in the LS Retail base code than customizations in the freshly implemented LS Retail at a location. While the navision versions are same at both locations.

Regards,
    Navimbs

In this case, I would recommend that you Create a new 5.00 W1 database with the latest version of LS Retail (Which is now available for 5.00) and then merge the changes individually form each of the two database into this new one.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    navimbs wrote:
    Thanks DenSter.

A– W1 4.0 SP3 (4.0 SP3)
    B– W1 4.0 SP2 (4.0 SP3)

Regards,
    Navimbs
    Your exe's may be the same version, but there are differences between SP2 and SP3 objects, and you'll need to merge that together as well if you want to merge two databases together. You'll have to upgrade the SP2 objects top SP3 objects at the same time.

Just like any other merging, you're going to have to figure it out per object. Make sure you have the standard objects somewhere, for reference, so you can determine what is standard and what is custom functionality. It's hard, tedious, boring, and at times very complex, but all it is is work. Merging a complex system like that, especially if you're not familiar with how to do it could take weeks.