Connectivity of Navision Server

AkilaAkila Member Posts: 19
Hi All,
I want the details about Terminal server and VPN. where can i get the documents regarding this? i need to connect the server from other than workplace through terminal server or VPN. which one gives the best connectivity? what is the minimum requirement of both connections?

I am waiting for ur guidance. Thanks in Advance.......
Dream is not the thing, what you see in the sleep. Dream is the thing, which does not let you sleep.

Comments

• jthjth Member Posts: 16
    There should not be an or in your question.
    Due to security concerns, Terminal Server (RDP) should not be used stand alone without encrypting the connection. The passwords can be sniffed.
    Best way is to secure the connection via VPN and then use Terminal Services.
    In terms of bandwidth usage (and more) RDP is similar to Citrix Metaframe.

Metaframe has the following requirements:

Bandwidth Requirements
    Bandwidth 30-60 Kb per user – 60Kb is recommended if the users are running Microsoft Office also.

More information:
    Microsoft document:
    Running Microsoft Business Solutions– Navision 4.0 on a CITRIX Terminal
    Server
    White Paper
    Published: August, 2005
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) You must know what VPN and TS mean. You cannot "compare" these two things, because they are here for different things.
    2) For direct connection of NAV client to server you need at least 10Mbps network (optimal is 100Mbps).
    3) For connection to terminal server you need at least 16Kbps. But when you want to print reports etc. you need higher speed.
    4) VPN is just way how to connect into your local network over WAN (internet etc.) from remote site.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • AkilaAkila Member Posts: 19
    What is the minimum requirement bandwidth of VPN? Give me the details of VPN.
    Dream is not the thing, what you see in the sleep. Dream is the thing, which does not let you sleep.
    Try search the internet. e.g. google for "what is VPN" for more info. Try to use your own potentiality before asking. :wink:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    i am doing that ........
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Akila wrote:
    What is the minimum requirement bandwidth of VPN? Give me the details of VPN.

Hey Akila, I just want to elaborate on Kamil's comments above.

VPN does not have bandwidth, VPN is not some kind of physical connection. VPN does not help connectivity or make it easier.

VPN is about the opposite of what you think it is. A network is something that makes it simple to connect two computers together. A VPN is something that makes it as difficult as possible to connect two computers. IT DOES NOT MAKE IT EASIER.

The two things you are trying to compare, are connection to Navision Directly over a WAN vs Connection to Navision VIA Terminal Server over a WAN.

No matter which of these you decide, you then MUST use a VPN. So your question should be:

What Bandwidth do i need over a WAN to directly connect to Navision. In that case you are going to need about 10 Meg, and you need low latency. This would want to be a Frame relay or some other reliable network, NOT a home DSL or Cable type internet.

Cost wise, I can't imagine a case where Direct connection would be cheaper than Terminal Services though.
    David Singleton
    edited 2007-08-07
    If you read articles like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Private_Network you know, that VPN itself is just tool to be able to send data from PC to some network through another network (like connecting notebook through internet to company network). It means there is no requirements to bandwidth, because this depends on what you will transfer through VPN. If it will be data for NAV client, the req. is same like NAV req. If it will be Outlook connected to Exchange, it will be req. of Outlook and Exchange...

PS: I see that David answered nearly same thing...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kine wrote:
    Try search the internet. e.g. google for "what is VPN" for more info. Try to use your own potentiality before asking. :wink:

Actually that is probably bad advice :mrgreen: since there are soooo many people out there that have no clue what a VPN is, searching Google is probably going to produce as much missinformation as information. ](*,)
    David Singleton
    I am using terminal servers to connect the navision db. Terminal server bandwidth is 512 KBPS. How many users can compatible with this connection?

Thanks in advance .........
    It depends on many things:

desktop resolution and color depth, how much you are printing something to local printer etc. And you are not limited just by the bandwidth but with Terminal Server memory and CPU.

If you will count with 16kbps as minimum per session, you will have 512/16=32 sessions. But it is just "clicking, reading and entering data". If someone will start some extensive printing, others can freeze because whole bandwidth will take the transfer of print job from server to local printer. But it depends on solution...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks for your valuable answers..........