MBS Navision 4.0 Failure

stephenkstephenk Member Posts: 4
Hi All,

Is there any body that has experienced this type of failure with MBS Navision 4.0 SP2? I had a database size of 11GB with about 2.5Gb of available space but after a sudden restart (it restarted by itself) of my server - (MS Win 2003 server) all I could get from users is the message below. Could somebody advise on what I can because every subsequent expansion of the database I have made is used whenever start any other activity in the system.

Other concurrent activities have reused the available space in the database that contained the snapshot of data. This can occur in connection with time-consuming tasks such as printing or making backups.

If this occurs often, you should create more available space in the database. You can create more space in the database by:

* Expanding the database.
* Deleting unnecessary data.
* Data compressing older, -non-current entries.
* Optimizing the database.

Thanks in advance

stephenk

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I'm not sure what you mean with ... "because every subsequent expansion of the database I have made is used whenever start any other activity in the system" ... but this is what I would do.

I would make a copy of the database (11Gb is not that much) for further testing. Here are some things you can do:
    - Expand it to 22Gb, then see if you still get the error. If not: backup/restore in a smaller database.
    - Try to restore a backup to see if a previous restore was still 'running'. If so, delete the created temp tables.
    - Optimize all tables.

If you have to expand your database too much, you can back it up and restore it in a smaller database.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • stephenkstephenk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Waldo,

The database appears to be corrupted, because every time we access Sales & Marketing or Warehouse modules it gives the above error message. If you try more than once then it consumes all the available space you added after the expansion.

I have actually tried expanded it to 25GB and the expansion went fine to completion. After consulting with our local support I was advised that I attempt to backup immediately after, then later restore to a smaller(optimum size), this didi not work.

I am wondering whether there is a tool that I could use to repair the database file. or one that I could use to import the data from the fdb file into MS SQL server and so on.
  • Igor_BeeoneIgor_Beeone Member Posts: 80
    Hello,
    please post an error message you get while making database backup.
    About fdb->SQL:
    1) Export all objects (current database)
    2) Take fresh version of Database
    3) Create MSSQL database using Navision
    4) Import all objects from current database there
    5) Find a tool for migration (You will need to connect with it to your existing database via C/ODBC - and link tables to migrate data) - with a little magic you can achieve the goal.
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    There is no tool to repair, i'm afraid.

You could send your database to your local MS office.
    The other ways to go for me would be:
    - the backup/restore (SQL and native)
    - Optimize DB
    - Start a "Database Test" (full)

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • stephenkstephenk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks All,

Waldo,

I have tried the expansion thing, but whenever we try to do any activity in the Navision the free space gets used up immediately. I have expanded and created up to 60% free space but it just got filled up. i have the original crashed fdb file somewhere though.

Igor,

I succeeded in

1.exporting "data common to all the objects" just after an expansion (which takes too long),

2. created a new navision database in MS SQL server option

3. Imported the data common to all objects

4. Imported using Microsoft Navision odbc most of the data from the crashed fdb file.

5. Failed to connect to the imported tables through the Navision client!!! Need help on how to link to them, so that I can do a backup and restore to the native later.

Gone to rest.

Best Rgds to All.

The error message is:

Other concurrent activities have reused the available space in the database that contained the snapshot of data. This can occur in connection with time-consuming tasks such as printing or making backups.

If this occurs often, you should create more available space in the database. You can create more space in the database by:

* Expanding the database.
    * Deleting unnecessary data.
    * Data compressing older, -non-current entries.
    * Optimizing the database.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Did you try File->Database->Information->tables->"Select All"->Test as Waldo mentioned? Perhaps you can find out which table(s) are corrupt.

I usually see this message if I try to optimize a monster sized table "G/L Entry" (for example) and I have 85% used. There's just not enuf space to complete the action.
  • Igor_BeeoneIgor_Beeone Member Posts: 80
    Hello,
    write answers (yes/no):
    1) Have You exported all objects as fob file from the current db?
    2) Have You taken the same fresh version fbk?
    3) Have You restored this fbk to the SQLServer?
    4) Have You created same company (name must be the same) on SQLServer database?
    5) Have You installed special tool (like http://www.dbput.com/ or smth.) or made transfer tunnel manually between crashed DB using ODBC and SQLServer?
    6) Have You mapped data transfer and it's completed? There youu will need much patience to map fields and more patience to wait while processing is done, so first try find the bug in database itself, this way is the last drop
    sooo...
    After all of these steps You can use SQLServer navision with all the current data from corrupted fdb. Notice that 99% that you will need to run a report which fixes dates. Also don't forget about proper regional settings.
    After these steps you can make a backup using Navision SQL Client with full data which you can restore back to the native server :)

This thing takes time. I'be been doing such thing with 3.1 version ... but before this conversion converted to 3.7 ;)

Hope it helps. After this you could write a success story :)
    Br,
    Igor Beeone