Forgotten password

aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
Is there any way of recovering the forgotten password.
what if someone has also forgotten the user id also?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) It depends if you are using MS SQL or Native DB
    2) It depends if you have some SUPER account you (or someone else) have access to

If it is on SQL and you are using DB Authentication, you can change the password for the user on MS SQL through tools of SQL (Enterprise Manager etc.). If someone forgot login, you can find it out through same tools.

If you are using Native DB, SUPER user can change password for any account in NAV. Just go into Tools-Security-Database Logins and change value in column Password. Login can be found out in same way.

But if SUPER forgot the password, than there is no way (in Native DB). You can ask Microsoft for support, but it will cost you money.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
    kine wrote:
    1) It depends if you are using MS SQL or Native DB
    2) It depends if you have some SUPER account you (or someone else) have access to

If it is on SQL and you are using DB Authentication, you can change the password for the user on MS SQL through tools of SQL (Enterprise Manager etc.). If someone forgot login, you can find it out through same tools.

If you are using Native DB, SUPER user can change password for any account in NAV. Just go into Tools-Security-Database Logins and change value in column Password. Login can be found out in same way.

But if SUPER forgot the password, than there is no way (in Native DB). You can ask Microsoft for support, but it will cost you money.

I am using native DB.
    I read somewhere the trick of adding 10 question marks(?) in the id field then some # will be generated and so onm,,
    but this trick is not working with NAV 4.o,SP3.

Any better ideas?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In this case (Native and NAV 4.03) you have just three possibilities:

1) some SUPER account you can access (if you are customer, partners in most cases have SUPER account. If you are partner, may be customer have some SUPER account)
    2) Microsoft support (I assume not for free)
    3) Some latest backup - restore it, change the password right after restore is finished.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Under version 3.XX it went upto 20 question marks. Not sure what it is for V4. Try 20 question marks.

all it does though is give you a code. you then had to contact Navision and they would give you a return code. and you had to leave the session running until you got the return code.

And it was charageable. and i seam to recall they would only accept the information on comapny headed paper belonging to the client and then they would contact the person named int he letter on the number in the header.

If its a clients only copy then its worth it. If its a dev database its not. If you have a backup you can restore it and that gives you a one off access as well that you can use to reset teh passwords

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    if this is the only db that you have without the backup, then...u have a last option left to you- MS Support
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
    Under version 3.XX it went upto 20 question marks. Not sure what it is for V4. Try 20 question marks.

all it does though is give you a code. you then had to contact Navision and they would give you a return code. and you had to leave the session running until you got the return code.

And it was charageable. and i seam to recall they would only accept the information on comapny headed paper belonging to the client and then they would contact the person named int he letter on the number in the header.

If its a clients only copy then its worth it. If its a dev database its not. If you have a backup you can restore it and that gives you a one off access as well that you can use to reset teh passwords

Ian

20 question marks in the id or in the password???
    20 question marks in the id or in the password???

One more thing,I have one id but not super,probably it is only the id which has got only nav opening permission ,not even the read permissions
    can it help??

Whatever is the case i cannot access the DB now.
    Try it on ur test DB,if u get any solution then gimme
    Question marks in the ID.

I'd talk to the local Microsoft office or support first as you will need to know the current process for getting an unlock code back from them.

If you have an account you can log in on you can always try opening the logins screen and see if you can update teh passwords. If you can't your pretty much stuck

IAn
    Regards

Ian
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    Under version 3.XX it went upto 20 question marks. Not sure what it is for V4.
    sorry, this feature is no longer available in Version >= 4.x
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    this will work in 4.0 if and only if you have previously setup up an odbc connection with the proper permissions.

you can connect through odbc and link to the user table, here you can delete or edit the password

you can also view the user names, if you just forgot the user id
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    aliennav wrote:

Call Microsoft support and pay for the service if it's urgent.

Why don't you try it on your test db instead of telling other people to do it for you?
    Alex Chow wrote:
    aliennav wrote:

Call Microsoft support and pay for the service if it's urgent.

Why don't you try it on your test db instead of telling other people to do it for you?

Dear Alex I am not telling other ppl to test for me instead I am just suggesting to test before they post.
    Random answers will kill our time.
    Right?
    Its a fair point and well presented.

But..... There’s always a but huh :D I don't have a V4 or a V5 native database to hand. Everything I end up on these days is SQL backed and predominantly windows integrated security. So for me to test it would have required tracking down a native database, setting up security, and trying to see what happened. On the other hand I thought you have a V4 that has DB security that you can test it on so I felt it would be easier for you to try it than for me. I guess my other option would have been to say nothing at all :lol:

Ian
    Regards

Ian