MSD NAV 4.02 Login "The property exceeds the buffer siz

f23776f23776 Member Posts: 5
Hi Folks,

the error message "the property exceeds the buffer size" appears at the login process after the user entered the User ID and password and clicks ok. You get the error message and can't login into Navision at all. After a few attempts, it sometimes works (not always) and Navision behaves as normal.

I tried multiple things like deleting the ZUP file, re-installing the client, increasing the Object Cache and DBMS Cache, but nothing really worked. I can't find a pattern. Has anyone experienced this as well - and can provide a hint for a solution?

Thanks, Thomas

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I found KB 916967 which describe this. It is about multilanguage and that some Text constant is too long. But it is about designing the object, not just loging in.

Solution for this is
    MORE INFORMATION
    In Microsoft Navision 4.0 Service Pack 2, the error message will change as follows:
    The internal buffer size has been exceeded. Please remove one language or shorten the 'Text00X' text constant. Please notice that if you save the object, you will lose information!
    In this message, the Text00X placeholder represents the text constant that is too long. To resolve the problem, shorten this text constant.

I recommend to try run and login under newest client version, if there will be another error with more info about the problem.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • f23776f23776 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Kine,

thanks, I appreciate your reply. But the issue is, I can't even log in. I think I understand the message you are referring to and had this also, when a text is too long for the dedicated field.

The Client I am using is 4.0 including SP2. I just installed it again this morning, but still have the problem. I also browsed the forum and there was no single hint in this regard. Maybe an Australian phaenomenon.

Cheers, Thomas
    1) Try to install NAV 4.00SP3 and open it with it.
    2) It is Cronus DB or some customized DB?
    3) Try to open the db without opening company - it means just select the db, log in and do not open any company. In this situation no object from NA is runned and you can be able to edit objects in the DB. Check CU1 for modifications and for long texts.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Igor_BeeoneIgor_Beeone Member Posts: 80
    Hello,
    is it Native DB or SQL?
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
    Hi Kamil, Igor,

thanks a lot for your help!

We are running the native Navision DB and it is our companies customised application. But it would be the same with a standard Cronus DB.

Actually it works to go the long way and connect by selecting DB and Company in extra steps. It is not a problem for me, but a bit hard to explain the users.

I reckon the next step to do is to try SP3. This might help. I have this phaenomenon since October last year on and off and was usuallly able to get rid of in by installing the Client again. But it did not work this time.

Any more input is welcome!

Thanks again and greetings from melbourne, Thomas
    Update:

It was working fine on my computer (SP2). No problems. I downloaded the SP3 client and installed it testwise on my machine. And I got the error. I couldn't log in even using the long waw and connect in steps. So I uninstalled SP3 again and installed SP2 and it works (for my computer).

We still have the problem on other desktops.

Any idea?

Cheers, Thomas
    Try to overwrite Client folder on "non-working" desktop by your copy of Client folder from your "working" desktop.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Igor_BeeoneIgor_Beeone Member Posts: 80
    Hello,
    which country client is installed on and database? What languages are used there? Is there any language module installed in Client directory?
    Take a look here:
    P15) Property Exceeds The Buffer Size
    Error
    Designing a form with very long text constants in different languages, would give an overflow.
    Importing the language module would not return this error.
    This has been corrected
    http://www.navisionguider.dk/downloads/402/Changes_In_NAV_4%200_SP2.pdf

Take a look at 1 codeunit and check if text consts are good and also check version written there.
    Br,
    Igor Beeone
  • eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
    Hi I got the same error, running SQL 2005, NAV5 SP1...
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
  • lloydshankslloydshanks Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I am having the same problem with a report in Dynamics Nav 5.0.

I thought that it was the caption for a report that I altered but it still occuring.

Regards,

Lloyd
  • mataharimatahari Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys,

just delete all records of the table 2000000061 "User Menu Level".