Updating Tables via Enterprise Manager

epartyeparty Member Posts: 24
Hello everyone,

I was reading the official Information & Systems Management / Navision SQL server option manual and saw the following paragraph:

Direct Access to Navision Tables on SQL Server
Because of the security risk involved in using an open database such as SQL Server, all permissions to access Navision tables in SQL Server directly, using various SQL Server tools, must be granted permissions by a SQL Server administrator from outside Navision. A login created in Navision will have a corresponding login and database user account
in SQL Server. This database user account does not grant the user any permissions on any SQL Server object stored in the database, regardless of whether the user has been granted permissions in Navision or not. Therefore, if the user logs on to the server from outside Navision, with a tool such as Microsoft Enterprise Manager, they will not be granted access to any SQL Server object stored in the Navision part of the database.

The reason I was looking into this is because the ALL Navision role contains a modify permission permission to the Change_Log_Entry table. Thus, I am thinking that a user will be able to modify the table when connected directly to the database. I personally do not think that the above paragraph is true. Afterall, I did connect to the Navision database via Enterpise Manager and was able to run SELECT statements on any table I wanted (and I did not have superuser access). If the above "official" statement held true, then I should not be even able to run SELECT statements.

Is my assumption correct or is there something that I misunderstood?

Many thanks in advance for your input!

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Until 3.70 (and also from 4.00SP3 with standard security model), Navision goes through a stored procedure to access the DB, so the users need only public access to the DB. Of course, if you give more permissions (like dbowner)....

In 4.XX and 5.00 with enhanced security model, it is possible to use the security directly on the tables. This means that it is possible to read the tables with an external tool (=not the Navision-client).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    kriki wrote:
    In 4.XX and 5.00 with enhanced security model, it is possible to use the security directly on the tables. This means that it is possible to read the tables with an external tool (=not the Navision-client).

I must disagree. The permissions are still granted just for the application role for the user and not directly to the user. It means, user cannot access the tables directly through external tools.

For eparty:

You do not be afraid of this. If you do not set the permissions to the user in MS SQL Server tools, they will be not able to do anything directly in the DB. NAV is setting the permission just to the application role which is used just by NAV client and cannot be used in another way (just NAV client knows the password for this application role).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.