Problem Restoring Navision Backup

kolaboykolaboy Member Posts: 446
Hi Experts,
I have made a navision backup using the function under the tool. I wanted to restore the backup on an existing database to overwrite the existing one, but whenever i restore the entire backup, it give me an error saying
"The restoration of the navision backup was interrupted because the company 'Company Name' is already in the database"

Can anyone tell me how to restore the backup to replace the existing one in the database without creating a new database.
Thanks.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    If you just want to restore the company and not the company-independent tables, delete (or rename) the company you want to overwrite, then start the restore.
    If you also want to restore the company-independent, you need to create a new DB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kolaboykolaboy Member Posts: 446
    If you just want to restore the company and not the company-independent tables, delete (or rename) the company you want to overwrite, then start the restore.
    If you also want to restore the company-independent, you need to create a new DB.

I want to do both. ie Restore Company and company-Independence.

What will happen to the old database?
    thanks.
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Unless you do something to it then nothing will happen.

Create a new database with a new name and and then restore the backup into it.

Then you will have a copy of the system you backed up.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    1: File, Company, Delete
    2: restore the company back in
    Thanks you all for you brilliant suggests and answers. I actually wanted to do like Ian_Piddington, DenSter and the rest said, but i was not very sure that is why i posted it here to comfirm from you experts.
    Thanks
    Hi Experts,

I am trying to read on how to scheldule Navision build in Backup to backup navision database by itself everyday at a particular time. I quest Automatic backup.

Can anyone Explain to me the Steps i can take to do this please:
    Thanks.
  • Igor_BeeoneIgor_Beeone Member Posts: 80
    Hello,
    there are 4 ways:
    1) HotCopy - with the help of hotcopy util (shipped with Navision) you can put it on windows scheduler and run whatever you want. It will work only on a server where Native Database Server option installed and running. Also here on Mibuso you can find special gui util, for managing properties of this util. Take a look at downloads.
    2) External (not free of charge) software specially designed to make backuping (fbk) - look at Expandit software also in downloads.
    3) If You have an SQL option - maybe the solution could be creating SQL backup of the database - refer to SQLServer documentation
    4) Macro tool - there are many macro tools which could be used to simulate key press in windows nevironment. It will record mouse/keys moves and in such way you can schedule this macros to do the job for you.

Br,
    Igor Beeone
    Hi Igor Beeone,
    1) HotCopy - with the help of hotcopy util (shipped with Navision) you can put it on windows scheduler and run whatever you want. It will work only on a server where Native Database Server option installed and running. Also here on Mibuso you can find special gui util, for managing properties of this util. Take a look at downloads.

I want to do the above option. My problem is i have never taken navision backup as i am new in nav. therefore i would be gratefull if you can show me the steps to take one by one. In this way i will be able to understand.

Can you please tell me the process step by step please!!!
    i am also finding it difficult to create a .cmd file.
    How do you also specify the folder where the backups should be when using windows to schedule it daily?
    Thanks.