Same No. Series for Posted & Unposted Documents

eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
Hi

I got a request to use the same number series for posted and unposted documents.

Reason being that when document X00001 is posted, the number for the posted document is X00001.

Okay, I understand why it is a nice to have - traceability - but personally I can't see how it could work with for example partial "posting" (partial invoicing, partial shipments/receipts etc).

And when you have doc X00002 (unposted), and you delete it, it will leave a gap in the posted docs (unless it creates a "deleted posted document")

So my main concern is the partial posting. But does anybody know of an area in Navision where the doc number carries over from an unposted doc to a posted one?

I understand that it works for some journals but I'm looking for documents like Sales Orders etc.

Thanks
Kind Regards,
Ewald Venter

Comments

• diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    You are absolutely right, it will leave a gap in the no. series. In this case I am seeing no other option than customization.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
  • PerJuhlPerJuhl Member Posts: 55
    Hi

You just specify the SAME numberseries, in unposted and posted, eg. Sales Invoices and Sales CM.

BR Per
  • eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
    Okay, but what if on a Sales Order (S00001) Line I have Quantity = 100, you specify "Qty to Invoice" = 50 and "Qty to Ship" = 50 and you post it.

Scenario 1:
    It will surely create Posted Sales Invoice S00002 and Posted Shipment S00003?
    Then posting the other 50 it will create PSI S00004 and Shipment S00005?

Else, even if it didn't do that, you would have:
    Scenario 2:
    Sales Order - S00001
    After first posting:
    Posted Sales Invoice - S00001
    Posted Sales Shipment - S00001
    After second posting:
    Posted Sales Invoice - S00002
    Posted Sales Shipment - S00002

Because as I understand the workings of number series mngt, it will give us the results of Scenario 1. Am I wrong? Even Scenario 2 is not a desirable effect, because what will then happen when you try to post Sales Order S00002?

You see my problem? The thing is to explain this to the users that already have a certain picture in their minds.
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
  • David_CoxDavid_Cox Member Posts: 509
    PerJuhl wrote:
    Hi

You just specify the SAME numberseries, in unposted and posted, eg. Sales Invoices and Sales CM.

BR Per

This only works for Un-Posted to Posted Invoices and Credit Memo's

The only way for this to work is on a one to one basis using Invoices and not Orders, where you ship and Invoice at the same time, with no part shipments.

David
    Analyst Developer with over 17 years Navision, Contract Status - Busy
    Mobile: +44(0)7854 842801
    Email: david.cox@adeptris.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Adeptris
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    The best place to take care of this is in the sales posting codeunit (80).
    You can use it for sales orders too as long as you do not allow partial shipments.
  • eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for all the replies.

In this case it would not be practical to use the same number series for both unposted and posted docs (also it could have legal implications in the case of sales or purchases).

Thanks.
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter