Options

Backup problem

smkolsoftsmkolsoft Member Posts: 53
edited 2007-07-20 in SQL General
Dear all
I am using Nav4.0 sp1 with Sql server 2005 .I am having Win 2003 Server as OS.

I need to take a backup of this database from SQL server and restore it on a different machine with win XP and Sql server 2005.
When i try to restore it ,system is giving a error " Too many backup devices specified""

I then copied the .mdf,.ldf,.ndf file ffrom the server and try to attach it to the machine on XP.Then aso i am getting an error "Datbase attach failed...."

Is it due to win XP ? do i need to have Win 2003 server on both machine.?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Nav4.0 sp1 with Sql server 2005 is not good combination. Use SP3 with SQL 2005...
    2) It seems that you specified too many source of the backup when restoring the DB. What did you defined as source of the backup?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Dear kine
    i took a normal backup of the db from SQL server management studio.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Ok, and when you are restoring the DB, you select "From device" option and browse for the .BAK file. It means in the list of the backup files there is just one file selected. Yes?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    you should be able to move backups or files from one server to another, the only requirement is that the version of sql 2005 is the same e.g. both sp2.
    The o/s shouldn't make any difference - the only thought I had is the version of sql server on XP, make sure it's developer and not express or personal.
  • Options
    @kine

the answer to your query is yes .....

@collin

the version of SQL 2005 on both the machine are same...the only difference is that we have skipped some components like Integration service while insatlling on the machine with XP