Navision licensing information

dev1349dev1349 Member Posts: 2
I'm new to Navision, and will be taking the certifcation training shortly. However, for a client I recently did some work to integration work on their Navision (4.0sp3) system.

During this I created several objects (tables, xmlports, forms, etc). How do I go about giving my client permission to these objects? I can see them with my developer's license, but not with the client's license. Do I need to contact Microsoft for them to generate a new license file, or is this something I can do myself?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Only Microsoft can add objects to any license, so will you probably need to have your customer purchase the objects that you added for them. What you want to do is find out which objects they have BEFORE you start working on a project. During the design phase you will know that you'll need to create x tables, y forms, etcetera, so you include that into your estimates. Many new customers purchase blocks of custom objects to accommodate custom functionality, for instance 10-20 tables, 100 forms, 100 reports, 100 dataports, 100 XMLPorts, and 100 codeunits.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    DenSter wrote:
    Only Microsoft can add objects to any license, so will you probably need to have your customer purchase the objects that you added for them. What you want to do is find out which objects they have BEFORE you start working on a project. During the design phase you will know that you'll need to create x tables, y forms, etcetera, so you include that into your estimates. Many new customers purchase blocks of custom objects to accommodate custom functionality, for instance 10-20 tables, 100 forms, 100 reports, 100 dataports, 100 XMLPorts, and 100 codeunits.

not to forget: the purchased objects can be (have to be) assigned to whatever object id, although most of the time they are linked to the 50000 range. Nevertheless, additional object IDs can be assigned e.g. to 50005-50009 and 60000-60004 etc.. This is up to the partner who is maintaining the license.
    dev1349 wrote:
    Do I need to contact Microsoft for them to generate a new license file, or is this something I can do myself?

Normally the partner gets a text file together with every license change which provides detailed information about the assigned range. Here in Germany, we can re-print this list as we can maintain the licenses directly in C/CAPS.
    Custom Area Objects.
    Purchased Tables...........: 20
    Purchased Forms............: 200
    Purchased Reports..........: 200
    Purchased Dataports........: 200
    Purchased Codeunits........: 200
    Purchased XMLPorts.........: 100
    Assigned Tables............: 10
    Assigned Forms.............: 100
    Assigned Reports...........: 100
    Assigned Dataports.........: 100
    Assigned Codeunits.........: 100
    Assigned XMLPorts..........: 100
    Table Data
    50,000-50,009 RIMDX

Form
    50,000-50,099 RIMDX

50,000-50,099 RIMDX

Dataport
    50,000-50,099 RIMDX

Codeunit
    50,000-50,099 RIMDX

XMLPort
    50,000-50,099 RIMDX

As you can see in the example, 20 tables have been bought but only 10 have been assigned to far. Furthermore, you see the assigned object IDs and permission.

This is basically the information you need. If you can not get this information from the MS partner who created the license, you could do the following:

a.) With a developer license, create a new form, e.g. 50000 (or use a free ID somewhere in that area) and assign the table "License Permission". Save the object

b.) Run object with a enduser (company) license and browse the permissions, especially in the 50000 area and you can verify which objects do have any permission assigned.

Compare the result of b.) to the IDs you used and renumber if necessary. Then it should work with the company's license too.
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)